Water pump gasket on 3fe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
I replaced my radiator today. I drove it out to the beach and it started over heating. ( I never let it get in red) first time because of a loose radiator hose that blew off. topped it off and it did it again. The second time it started getting hot I checked it and it seemed to be leaking out of the water pump. looked like it was dripping from the the pulley on the water pump. I pulled the thermostat housing to make sure it was not leaking from there because of a bad gasket or something.. It was not unfortunately. Any ideas to what it could be other than the water pump? I am ordering one tonight and will replace it. I just want to check all my boxes. before I take it all apart round 2.... any input will be much appreciated!

It’s leaking from the weep hole in the water pump I’m willing to bet. I’m pretty sure I have a 3fe water pump kicking around that you can have if I can find it. I sold my 91 a while ago.

It’s leaking from the weep hole in the water pump I’m willing to bet. I’m pretty sure I have a 3fe water pump kicking around that you can have if I can find it. I sold my 91 a while ago.

I ordered one already because I feel like I gotta go in there again anyway. I was hoping it could be a hose or something in there. I feel like some how it could have been over pressurized? what could cause that?

I ordered one already because I feel like I gotta go in there again anyway. I was hoping it could be a hose or something in there. I feel like some how it could have been over pressurized? what could cause that?
It’s the bearing on the pump failing. It will eventually seize if it hasn’t already. Same thing happened to me in my 91 and left me stranded.

It’s the bearing on the pump failing. It will eventually seize if it hasn’t already. Same thing happened to me in my 91 and left me stranded.

It could be. Just strange it happened right after I replaced the radiator. its failed bad whatever it is.I took thermostat housing off to see if it was a leak there. it was not. I poured water in from the housing just to see if I could see the leak. t it pretty much just poured right out somewhere around the water pump pulley. I am going to take my time taking it apart while I wait for the water pump to come in. Lucky it happened this week. I am teaching students online because the virus now... Have plenty of time to repair it.

Your water pump is toast, it was probably going bad and adding to the overheating that lead you to replace the radiator. A couple weeks ago I pulled over after smelling antifreeze and found my cruiser pissing its bladder out through the water pump weep hole (bottom of the pulley). Anywase the old pump was toast, it sounded like a can of rocks when I spun it and it had so much resistance and tons of play in the bearings.

I just finished the repair on my rig and hopefully I can give you some good tips. I removed the lower skid plate, the adjuster bracket for the alternator, the two brackets that hold the two adjustable pulleys for the belts, and loosened the adjuster on the power steering pump. This gave me plenty of room to get all the annoying hoses off the water pump and get it and the thermo housing removed. I went ahead and replaced the belts while I was in there and the bearing in one of the pulleys I removed and changed the other for a new napa pulley because only one of them had a replaceable bearing (it idles so quietly now).

While the two pulleys and brackets are off the truck it is a good idea to clean them well so they adjust nice and easy after removing 30 years of crust from the threads. I was lucky with my aftermarket radiator and shroud so I didn't have to pull my radiator but I read that with the oem equipment it is possible to remove the fan and shroud together and change the pump without removing the radiator.

The water pump is held on with 3 studs and 1 bolt. I was able to reuse 2 studs and the bolt but I had to source 1 new stud. I found it available from McMaster-carr. Part # 98833a320, threaded rod m10 x 1.25 x 60mm long if you need one.

Torque:
4 thermostat bolts that hold the two halfs together = 13ftlb
4 water pump bolts/studs = 27ft lbs
2 thermo housing to block bolts = 18ft lbs
Coolant capacity: 19.5L/20.6 quarts coolant/ 5.15 gallons

I ordered all my parts from cruiser outfitters, they are awesome and can get you all taken care of for much better prices than stealerships.

Be careful with all the sensors in the thermostat housing and the old wires. I busted one of the sensors trying to remove it from the housing. The large one on the top half of the thermostat housing by the large water outlet on the right side is not cheap.... (cold start injector timer I beleieve). If I was doing it again I would have just left all the sensors in the housing instead of trying to remove them for cleaning, it just created a headache and they all worked fine to begin with anywase.

Also a nice set of radiator hose picks will make this job easier. I posted some more info on the repair in this thread.

Suggestions please, removing busted sensor

Good luck and I hope this helps you out lol, feel free to ask if you got any questions.

20200317_134047.jpg
20200311_195008.jpg
20200311_195152.jpg

Your water pump is toast, it was probably going bad and adding to the overheating that lead you to replace the radiator. A couple weeks ago I pulled over after smelling antifreeze and found my cruiser pissing its bladder out through the water pump weep hole (bottom of the pulley). Anywase the old pump was toast, it sounded like a can of rocks when I spun it and it had so much resistance and tons of play in the bearings.

I just finished the repair on my rig and hopefully I can give you some good tips. I removed the lower skid plate, the adjuster bracket for the alternator, the two brackets that hold the two adjustable pulleys for the belts, and loosened the adjuster on the power steering pump. This gave me plenty of room to get all the annoying hoses off the water pump and get it and the thermo housing removed. I went ahead and replaced the belts while I was in there and the bearing in one of the pulleys I removed and changed the other for a new napa pulley because only one of them had a replaceable bearing (it idles so quietly now).

While the two pulleys and brackets are off the truck it is a good idea to clean them well so they adjust nice and easy after removing 30 years of crust from the threads. I was lucky with my aftermarket radiator and shroud so I didn't have to pull my radiator but I read that with the oem equipment it is possible to remove the fan and shroud together and change the pump without removing the radiator.

The water pump is held on with 3 studs and 1 bolt. I was able to reuse 2 studs and the bolt but I had to source 1 new stud. I found it available from McMaster-carr. Part # 98833a320, threaded rod m10 x 1.25 x 60mm long if you need one.

Torque:
4 thermostat bolts that hold the two halfs together = 13ftlb
4 water pump bolts/studs = 27ft lbs
2 thermo housing to block bolts = 18ft lbs
Coolant capacity: 19.5L/20.6 quarts coolant/ 5.15 gallons

I ordered all my parts from cruiser outfitters, they are awesome and can get you all taken care of for much better prices than stealerships.

Be careful with all the sensors in the thermostat housing and the old wires. I busted one of the sensors trying to remove it from the housing. The large one on the top half of the thermostat housing by the large water outlet on the right side is not cheap.... (cold start injector timer I beleieve). If I was doing it again I would have just left all the sensors in the housing instead of trying to remove them for cleaning, it just created a headache and they all worked fine to begin with anywase.

Also a nice set of radiator hose picks will make this job easier. I posted some more info on the repair in this thread.

Suggestions please, removing busted sensor

Good luck and I hope this helps you out lol, feel free to ask if you got any questions.

View attachment 2244647View attachment 2244648View attachment 2244649

Thanks for the write up! this comes in handy for sure! thanks for all the pictures. these help for sure. I wish it was not such a PITA job but hey at least it will be all new. I bought a toyota water pump. while I am waiting for it to come in I am going to start disassembling. I am fortunate that it did not fail on the highway on my 4 hour trip last week. Ill post pictures of the install and tear down.

Anybody know the part numbers for the nuts that hold the fan clutch on are? one of mine was a bolt instead of a stud and a nut. also anybody know the part number for the coolant hose that fits on the bottom of the water pump? it looks like I may want to replace that

Anybody know the part numbers for the nuts that hold the fan clutch on are? one of mine was a bolt instead of a stud and a nut. also anybody know the part number for the coolant hose that fits on the bottom of the water pump? it looks like I may want to replace that
Joey has it all.

I got the water pump mostly off. I still need to disconnect two hoses. I am going to wait till I get the pump Seems like the bearing in the pump is fine feels smooth. I Feel like my system had too much pressure in it. the radiator cap was brand spanking new oem toyota. could air in the system cause gasket failures like the water pump gasket? The only thing I can think of is I did not fill it all the way or something. I am going to double check the cap and the over flow tube. Last thing I want is to put it all back together and it happen again.

IMG_8116.JPG

time to clean everything up on the front of the engine while I wait for parts

Last edited:
IMG_8121.JPG

New water pump is currently in! Came in a nice toyota/lexus box. Still need put the thermostat housing and thermostat in and bolt everything down in the morning, put the belt and fan in and put coolant in. crossing my fingers. its really not as hard as I expected. (famous last words.)

Please tell me that you're going to use a Scotchbrite pad and clean up the corrosion on the hard lines, and that you'll be replacing those old hoses.
Oh I did! no worries. It was messy took a bunch of cans of engine cleaner. I took almost 4 hours to clean up the mating surfaces of the water pump and thermostat housing. . the easer to access hoses I am still waiting on to come in the mail like the the smaller hose going to the top of the water pump and the one going to the bottom of the thermostat housing. I will be replacing those. When they come in. ( I live on an island on the outer banks of NC only accessible by car ferry or small airplane so shipping and getting to a parts store is difficult sometimes. amazon prime even takes about a week usually.) I replaced the ones that are hard to get to. Like the lower radiator hose, the one coming off the water pump, and the smaller hose to the bottom of the pump. The one that goes to the water pump to the thermostat housing I replaced is in the picture as a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom