Water pump for 74' euro-spec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, some pictures to my setup match all I have shown just before.

The separating fan clutch.
IMG_20200417_1157339_edited.jpg

Comparison between the 74-76 fan clutch and the 77+ that everyone knows. The look of the clutch match the schematics.
1f1c8edf823d28af58429d4d1d3b62f6-edited.jpg

The rivets on the pulley. (Note also the teq logo on the pump)
IMG_20200417_1156496.jpg

IMG_20200424_1157102.jpg

In the end, a very compact setup thats allows to fit a fan clutch with the alignments of an old F engine.
IMG_20200417_1200386-edited.jpg

With the pulley directly pressed on the pump axle you gain the seat width. Also the clutch itself, only the back casing is before the fan, the actual fluid coupling tank comes through the fan.

So, all of that for what ? Why should it be interesting ?

It's interesting because, in theory, this waterpump model would allow any old F engine to get a fan clutch without having to move everything in your bay.
And considering the time it takes for these engines to get hot, if you don't live in a tropical country, a fan clutch is definitely a nice feature to have.

Nowadays for the regular 2F waterpumps, Toyota only carries 2 variants but if you go to Aisin you can get more variants. For example the Aisin WPT-063 will get you a pump with fanclutch and without oil cooler that Toyota does not offer anymore.

So here is the question, how can you find the Aisin partnumber from the Toyota partnumber of a given waterpump model ? And is-there just the slightest chance that Aisin may still do this pump (or have the mold to do it if a big enough reseller ask nicely) ?

So here is the question, how can you find the Aisin partnumber from the Toyota partnumber of a given waterpump model ? And is-there just the slightest chance that Aisin may still do this pump (or have the mold to do it if a big enough reseller ask nicely) ?

Aisin provides cross-reference information for their available catalog.

There is basically no chance they would redo an obsolete part like that. You’d need volumes upwards of 10,000 pieces per month for them to be interested.

Even a 1000 pieces per month (basically a rounding error for a Tier 1 supplier like Aisin) order would be laughed at most likely.

Thanks for the answer.

Yep that makes sense off course but I can't imagine they sell 10000 a month of the WPT-063 and all other variants. But for sure a lot more that they could from an outdated model.
I guess they probably do a big batch once in a while. They must have something setup for all the old parts they keep doing in a completely different cadence than current production parts.

Anyway, I have to consider my options :
  1. Going back to a non-clutch F setup, off course that's my least favorite, I would need everything (pump, pulley, spacer, fan), pulley and spacer are hard to find used, fan takes a lot of space if I want to have it with me as spare (while traveling far from home) and obviously I'm losing a feature.
  2. Restoring my current pump, kit from Toyota is NLA but I think I saw here people able to find the parts compatible to restore the inside of the waterpump (propeller,and bearing ?). I would need to find the parts but that's small parts, in price and size, if I want to carry as spare (a random mechanic in France may not be very happy with this kind of job but for traveling the farthest I'll go the more I'll find mech willing to do that I guess).
  3. Trying to buy a 2F short neck waterpump, un-pressing the seat from it and pressing instead my pulley & clutch. Hard to say for sure if the alignments would work but I have the feeling that it may. That would be the easiest to source by far.

Look what I found in the 1975 2F FSM !
1616287703800.png

Lots of good infos I was wondering, how to press the pulley+"clutch" out and what viscosity to use on this kind of "clutch".

Oh and now I write "clutch" because off course it's not 100% a clutch x)
Curious I did quite a lot of research here and on the Internet to understand how viscous coupling works. And I discovered (maybe it was obvious for the experts here) the answer on why this one looks different from any other from Toyota with no thermal spring in front... It's because it's a non-thermal viscous coupling and it does not have a valve inside.
It's always semi-engaged but the viscous fluid inside will not be capable to drag the fan at high speed so you avoid the very high noise of a fan going high speed (and probably save some HP) but it's never completely free like a thermal clutch.
Kind of a mix between having a clutch and a permanent fan.

The bad news here is they indicate that the coupling cannot be reused once removed... I don't really understand why and what the point of explaining us how to remove it ? Saving the waterpump ?
One day I may still try to buy a long neck 2F waterpump and try to refit the coupling+pulley on it, in place on the seat, with the silicone inside.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom