Water Pump for 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace a water pump. I am looking for guidance. How do I know if I need one with a clutch or not? The old one has the oil cooler on it but it’s plugged, so this new one will not have the oil cooler on it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Do you have a fan clutch or no? Doesn't really matter because the flange on the WP shaft that the fan bolts to can be swapped between your old one and the new one.
If you go to Napa and ask for a '76 WP, they'll ask if that's with or without an oil cooler. Take your pick.

Thanks guys. I just don’t know what to look for to determine if there is a clutch or not. Just did not know if there were some 76s with and without clutch on the water pump.

Thanks guys. I just don’t know what to look for to determine if there is a clutch or not. Just did not know if there were some 76s with and without clutch on the water pump.
Are you saying that you do not know what a fan clutch is or what it looks like looks like?

with the engine off and cold, can you spin the fan or not? that should determine if you have a fan clutch or not.

Pretty simple to determine if you have clutch fan or not by looking at the fan itself. #1 is non clutch, #2 is a clutch unit and will have a metal device in the center of the fan. For what it's worth, on my 2F I use an early 76 water pump with a non clutch fan. It does not have any oil cooler fittings.

Fotor_160360322268431.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom