water pump compatibility

N: 06° 47.85' | E: 079° 53.38' | Colombo, Sril
Hi all,

My waterpump is making a funny noice. No play at the fan and no leak yet. Since archives suggest that this may be a signal of wp going bad, I'm looking for a new one.

Now this is the real problem.......

I DO NOT know the manufacturing year of my engine. Its a B diesel (3000CC) from a JDM truck. (I got only the drivetrain and has no information about the year/model of the doner truck which I think is a BJ40).

My question for the forum is, can I use a waterpump from ANY B engine? or if they are not interchangeable, is there any specific way to identify the year/model of my engine?

Thanking all of you in advance...........

Mithila | 1984 BJ43 | N: 06° 47.85' | E: 079° 53.38'

p.s. Will a picture of the engine help?. In that case is there specific area of the engine which can give a clue?

lowenbrau

SILVER Star

If you get one from a 3B you'll save about $300 (here in Canada anyway) but the studs that attach the fan clutch are larger. You'll have to drill out the holes or get a 3B fan clutch.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star

MY cost on a 3B pump is about $100cdn and the last quote I got for a B one in September was for $400 and there was *one* left in the North America (Ontario CA) warehouse. I'll bet its pretty dusty.

N: 06° 47.85' | E: 079° 53.38' | Colombo, Sril
Great...... I lost a lot of sleep thinking about not beign able to find a waterpump for my decades old little rattler. This list is great !!!!!!.

My engine has a direct fan. I was anyway thinking about replaceing it with a clutch fan and therefore going for a 3B pump with clutch fan seems the prefect solution.

So when ordering I should say I need a water pump with clutch fan for a 3B engine. If they ask which year, I will say doesn't matter !. Did I get it right?

Thanks again guys........ your help is much appreciated.

crushers

post ho

Mithila said:
My engine has a direct fan. I was anyway thinking about replaceing it with a clutch fan and therefore going for a 3B pump with clutch fan seems the prefect solution.
Thanks again guys........ your help is much appreciated.
why?

crushers

post ho

personally i have not run inot this situation, i have heard if you go to the mini truck fan with the ring aound the outside fo the fan this helps prevent it. i usually just run a steel fan blade but i am not sure if they make one for the 3B.
the clutch fan would probably work just fine.
cheers

Top Bottom