Water pump belt after De-smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20181108_125614.jpg
I've recently purchased an 87 FJ60 to use as an engine donor for my 72 FJ40. My question is..
Is there a solution for driving the water pump after the air pump and A/C compressor have been removed?

Last edited:
View attachment 1827054 I've recently purchased an 87 FJ60 to use as an engine donor for my 72 FJ40. My question is..
Is there a solution for driving the water pump after the air pump and A/C compressor has been removed?
I'll post a pick after I figure out how..
Hmm. If you still had the AC you can run witout the PS pulley, but having both off of there will make it a bit more tricky. I would see about mounting a secondary alternator or one of the many idle pulley conversions to let you have an adjustment point where the smog pump used to be. Then you could have PS, idle pulley an water pump on the driver side, and a seperate belt for the alterntor on the passenger side. Look at JimC's idler pulley smog pump replacement as my first pick.

Desmog components

Glenn in Marana

Yup get the idler pulley from JimC and then measure the belt length for around the water pump, crank and pulley. Would also be a good opportunity to throw on an OBA (on-board air) system in the place of the AC unit, then you would not need a custom belt length as the smog pulley is the tensioner.

I think I want to keep it as simple as possible. So probably stick with one alt. And also I've read that I will have to use my FJ40 motor mounts, which would rule out the air pump eliminator pulley? This seems to leave me with thinking that I'll need a tension pulley in place of my A/C compressor? Is there an a/c delete pulley available somewhere?

You can go to a Saginaw power steering pump. This will let you move the pump forward / back and also tension a belt off the PS pump. With the right belts, you actually end up with two belt running the water pump: one off the alternator and one off the power steering pump. Plus, IMHO, you end up with a better PS pump.

I think I want to keep it as simple as possible. So probably stick with one alt. And also I've read that I will have to use my FJ40 motor mounts, which would rule out the air pump eliminator pulley? This seems to leave me with thinking that I'll need a tension pulley in place of my A/C compressor? Is there an a/c delete pulley available somewhere?

EDIT - post above with the Saginaw PS conversion makes a very good idea in your situation.

Can't say for sure - not as familar with the 40 setups - have you posted this up in the 40 section as well? If there is a good workaround, someone in there is likely to know it, as well aas any pitfalls in using a later 2F in an earlier 40, like the water pump routing for the "oil cooler", etc.

Glenn in Marana

You can go to a Saginaw power steering pump. This will let you move the pump forward / back and also tension a belt off the PS pump. With the right belts, you actually end up with two belt running the water pump: one off the alternator and one off the power steering pump. Plus, IMHO, you end up with a better PS pump.
I already have a saginaw setup on my F155 from when I did my P/S conversion, but it has to be bolted to the head using the two front head bolts. Is that what you're talking about, or is there a different bracket out there?

EDIT - post above with the Saginaw PS conversion makes a very good idea in your situation.

Can't say for sure - not as familar with the 40 setups - have you posted this up in the 40 section as well? If there is a good workaround, someone in there is likely to know it, as well aas any pitfalls in using a later 2F in an earlier 40, like the water pump routing for the "oil cooler", etc.

Glenn in Marana
I haven't, but I will

I already have a saginaw setup on my F155 from when I did my P/S conversion, but it has to be bolted to the head using the two front head bolts. Is that what you're talking about, or is there a different bracket out there?

Yes. I put one on my 60. The bracket I got had slots for those bolts meaning you could slide it forward or back, depending on which pulley you want to run it off of. I think there are various versions, so I'm not sure all of them have this option. Did it years ago. I really like the idea of having multiple belts on the water pump. And while I wouldn't want to lose the alternator or PS pump, I can go a long way with one of those offline if the water pump still works.

Just found what I think will be the fix. A bracket from "Classic cruisers" 888 376-2420. it's 175.00 for the bracket and adjuster. I didn't want to go back to the head bolt mount and was lucky enough to find this. I found it through this video.

Curious what is wrong with the head bolt bracket? I bought one that I used on my 60 and made one that I used on my 40. Never had any issue with either.

Last edited:
Curious what is wrong with the head bolt bracket? I bought one that I used on my 60 and made one that I used on my 40. Never had any issue with either.
I don't know that anything is " wrong " with it. I've used one on my F155 for almost 3 years with no issues that I'm aware of. I just don't like the idea of pulling two head bolts on a seated head if I don't have to. If only for my own piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom