Water pump as preventative maintenance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone changed their water pump as preventative maintenance?

I'm at 137K miles and thinking about doing it. There are times I think I hear bearing noise from the water pump (or maybe AC Compressor) and I was considering changing the pump from a preventative maintenance perspective with summer coming.

I changed my water pump out when I replaced the radiator hoses. Figured 15 years and 168000 miles was pretty good for the original pump.
I haven't read about too many water pump failures. Guess once you hit 150,000 + and 10 + years many things become preventive maintenance.
Water pump from Cdan will run you 133.00. You could probably get a few more years out of the original pump or just replace it now for peace of mind. Up to you.

I'd nail down the exact source of the noise first/instead.

Curtis

I just changed mine at 152K along with the belts and thermostat. I felt that after 12 years it wouldn't hurt. The old pump was still in excellent shape. The hardest part of the whole process is losening and tightening the alternator belt. The one thing that I forgot to do that I wished I did was to replace the idler.

I wouldn't replace it unless you have to--i.e., "while I am in here..."

The water pump should last the life of the vehicle.

The one I took when I did my head was fine and is now working perfectly in Ruadhigh's truck.

-o-

My rig is at 137k also (my 62) and it seems as if the thermostat is staying open. I think I'll do the thermostat, water pump, re-core the radiator, change hoses, and the belts.

You're right, summer's on the way. I would hate to sit out in the heat with my 2 year old waiting for AAA. I'm with you. Cheers!

I would not go so far as saying it will last the life of the vechicle Beno. I do not think Mr T's designers built the water pump to last 1m miles. I do not even think they would believe it would last 300k miles I have seen them fail in the 120k range, but most are still working well in the 150k-200k range. I believe that the biggest thing that happens to kill the water pumps on most engines with external water pumps is over tightening the belts.
Daily driving it I would not replace one. If I was going on a extended journey I would think about replaceing a high mileage one. I would inspect it when ever I replace my belts(which seem to be about 40k or so miles). Make sure it feels smooth, has no back and forth play or bad run out. Look at the weep hole and see if any fluid is starting to leak. With the belts off, if the bearings feel rough, then it is time to replace.
Good luck with this.

I held off on doing mine as PM shortly after I got it at 150k. There were no signs it was going to go other than I thought that was a lot of miles for a water pump. Then last week after a short run into town and back, I see a puddle of coolant! Sure enough it was coming from the water pump and right at 170k. So as soon as the parts from Cdan arrive I'm replacing that as well as the fan clutch, t stat, and all hoses even though some are fairly new. It won't hurt to have some spares. I'm also going to use constant torque clamps on all hoses. I'm just glad she was nice enough to tell me it was time while in the driveway rather than out in the desert somewhere!

I would not go so far as saying it will last the life of the vechicle Beno. .

You are right Robbie....

I should correct my statement....what I meant was that the water pump is not a part of the normally scheduled service intervals according to the TIS...of course, if the bearing is making sounds, is rough, etc., it should be replaced.

I just did mine because "I was in there"...

;)

Has anyone changed their water pump as preventative maintenance?

I'm at 137K miles and thinking about doing it. There are times I think I hear bearing noise from the water pump (or maybe AC Compressor) and I was considering changing the pump from a preventative maintenance perspective with summer coming.

I changed it as a PM but also "while I was in there" doing a HG as a PM. Bought one from Checker for $88 w/ lifetime warranty. Mine was doing great at 165k miles but with the York in the area, it's truly a royal PITA to change out the Water pump and Tstat. So, factor that into your equation.

I changed it as a PM but also "while I was in there" doing a HG as a PM. Bought one from Checker for $88 w/ lifetime warranty. Mine was doing great at 165k miles but with the York in the area, it's truly a royal PITA to change out the Water pump and Tstat. So, factor that into your equation.

:eek:

I am honestly rendered speechless by this statement.

Is that because sometimes even though they are free sometimes you have to replace them every 30/50k miles and you end up buying OEM any way?

Is that because sometimes even though they are free sometimes you have to replace them every 30/50k miles and you end up buying OEM any way?

Let's see what happens. This is my first non oem purchase so I'm curious myself...:hmm: The budget for the HG project got hit hard when I broke the top nipple off on the radiator :doh::mad: so something had to give!

Absolutely !!! I would trust my Toyota pump with 150k miles on it more than a brand new Checker reman pump any day of the week. OK, I exaggerate. But only a little. I played that game with reman smog pumps on the FJ60. It isn't worth it. Replaced that thing three times in a two year time frame. Cardone reman units. Avoid at all costs.

But, at 178k miles, I "proactively" changed mine and put in a new one from Toyota, along with hoses, t-stat, etc.. I figured that was plenty of work for the original pump to have done and it was getting to be summer in South Texas again. Oh, and the wife was driving it a lot with the kiddos in there.

YMMV.

But if I were you Brett, I think I would leave it in, and find out exactly when it breaks, then note that and post it up. If nothing else, it'll make for a good story. ; )

Isn't a new Toyota water pump about $110? How much is the Checker unit, like $60 ? I understand saving money, but I don't think this is a good place to save $40 or $50. You'll be cussin' yourself if you have to pull that pump in the next year or two.

When I did this on the smog pumps, we were talking at least $750 for the Yota part then, and Cardone reman was maybe $150. That still wasn't worth all the hell to change that thing three times.

Just one fellas opinion. You gotta do whatever helps you sleep well at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom