Water piping inder the hood to under the passenger seat. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow 80's aficionados, need help with this one...
There is this heater line that on diagram is labeled 87209B, or part number 8720960301, has two lines almost on each side of the motor near the wall that runs all the way down to the passengers (US) underseat.
Want to replace as maintenance but having a hard time figuring the process, had 2 mechanics back away , one said its easy in one day and another daid has to lower transmission and would take days.
Any feedback?

IMG-20220627-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20220627-WA0032.jpeg

No definitely not, I have a removed three or four of them, one being my own. The pipes comes from the join on the firewall just left of the steering column. and straight down and under the bulkhead. Yes they are close to the transmission but remember the pipe do not have to cross it, they are then run under a heat shield which is directly above the first silencer on the exhaust and up into the heater assembly.

Regards

Dave
same part #, same routing

same part #, same routing

A bit confused here?

Mine is a HDJ 80 but not JDM but is RHD, manual gearbox. The two pipes run parallell as mentioned earlier, they come down under the bulkhead on the drivers side to the heater under the drivers seat, so does not cross the transmission in anyway whatsoever, there is no reason too.

Regards

Dave

A bit confused here?

Mine is a HDJ 80 but not JDM but is RHD, manual gearbox. The two pipes run parallell as mentioned earlier, they come down under the bulkhead on the drivers side to the heater under the drivers seat, so does not cross the transmission in anyway whatsoever, there is no reason too.

Regards

Dave
As seen in @Vasiliy pics, the top is over the bell housing it is tucked up tight to the body. With the AT, there's not enough room to pull the top out with the transmission in place. You can't Tetris it out of there. Believe me, I tried every which way but loose.

^^^This^^^

Easier to see if you magnify the photo showing the transmission tunnel and start near the heat control valve level and follow the rear heater pipes down. One pipe begins on the left side of the transmission tunnel then crosses over to meet up with the pipe from the right side, then both pipes travel down and over together.

As seen in @Vasiliy pics, the top is over the bell housing it is tucked up tight to the body. With the AT, there's not enough room to pull the top out with the transmission in place. You can't Tetris it out of there. Believe me, I tried every which way but loose.

I am certainly having difficulty getting this over to the readers on this thread, I apologise but perhaps it is the way I am trying to get over what I am trying to explain.

Just as a change view my 80 from the front, I know this is not the norm but give it a go. You are facing the grill and looking straight back at the bulkhead, to the right of the bulkhead is the heater valve just so we have your view/position orientated. The junction on the heater pipes that connects to the rear heater is on the opposite side.

There was two 'T' pipes that passed down to what you can see is the large gap, that is a gap I can pass my hand down, they went under the heat shield and turned upwards under the drivers seat to the heater, there was nothing crossing the transmission, why would they?

I have just popped out to the garage and taken photos so readers can see, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the pipes to cross the transmission.

EDIT: Pics to follow having some login issues with Outlook, easier when I swap browsers, give me a mo.....OK done!

The first picture shows the typical heater valve, ignore the clips all facing the same way....a little OCD with my work.

The second picture is the space where there were two 'T' connections which led off to the heater pipes that passed under the bulkhead straight to the heater under the seat. The part numbers cannot be the same as the move from left to right and vice verse would be different. Having removed the two 'T's I simply took the outlet from the heater valve that went to teh rear heater pipe and turned it back on itself. the other pipe coming from the cars normal heater goes straight to the block. OK I can go with mine perhpas being modified by a previous owner but the other RHD owners as well, that would be some coincidence for sure.

As you can see from the pictures there is absolutely no reason why the pipes did not continue across the bulkhead and 'T' off to the heater under the drivers seat. It took me longer to remove the rusty exhaust bolts than it did to remove the heater pipes. I have no other explanation for this other than I did remove these myself.

IMG_20220712_110405.jpg
IMG_20220712_110428.jpg

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I am certainly having difficulty getting this over to the readers on this thread, I apologise but perhaps it is the way I am trying to get over what I am trying to explain.

Just as a change view my 80 from the front, I know this is not the norm but give it a go. You are facing the grill and looking straight back at the bulkhead, to the right of the bulkhead is the heater valve just so we have your view/position orientated. The junction on the heater pipes that connects to the rear heater is on the opposite side.

There was two 'T' pipes that passed down to what you can see is the large gap, that is a gap I can pass my hand down, they went under the heat shield and turned upwards under the drivers seat to the heater, there was nothing crossing the transmission, why would they?

I have just popped out to the garage and taken photos so readers can see, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the pipes to cross the transmission.

EDIT: Pics to follow having some login issues with Outlook, easier when I swap browsers, give me a mo.....OK done!

The first picture shows the typical heater valve, ignore the clips all facing the same way....a little OCD with my work.

The second picture is the space where there were two 'T' connections which led off to the heater pipes that passed under the bulkhead straight to the heater under the seat. The part numbers cannot be the same as the move from left to right and vice verse would be different. Having removed the two 'T's I simply took the outlet from the heater valve that went to teh rear heater pipe and turned it back on itself. the other pipe coming from the cars normal heater goes straight to the block. OK I can go with mine perhpas being modified by a previous owner but the other RHD owners as well, that would be some coincidence for sure.

As you can see from the pictures there is absolutely no reason why the pipes did not continue across the bulkhead and 'T' off to the heater under the drivers seat. It took me longer to remove the rusty exhaust bolts than it did to remove the heater pipes. I have no other explanation for this other than I did remove these myself.

View attachment 3056956View attachment 3056957

Regards

Dave
Dave, It appears that your rear heater has been bypassed.

There is a tee on the left side of your pic that tees and has a hose that goes down and to the firewall (bulkhead) then to a hard line to go under the driver's seat. On the right side of your pic, that side has a wye that splits to feed what we refer to as the PHH.

It does not appear that you have the same set of hard lines we are referring to.

@BILT4ME [ Dave, It appears that your rear heater has been bypassed.

There is a tee on the left side of your pic that tees and has a hose that goes down and to the firewall (bulkhead) then to a hard line to go under the driver's seat. On the right side of your pic, that side has a wye that splits to feed what we refer to as the PHH.

It does not appear that you have the same set of hard lines we are referring to. ]

Sorry 'Quote' did not work for me this morning, so a cut and paste.

The pictures were not taken from the best angle, the hard line below the rubber hose from the bulkhead is the AC hard line line, it comes down to run near the exhaust and is 'wrapped' with a shielding material.

Picture 1. Heater valve, pipe from the right comes from the engine block. Pipe from the heater valve into 'U' bend and into heater under the dashboard.

Picture 2. Pipe is outlet from the heater under the dashboard and down to the lower engine block.

The heater and hard lines are completely gone, and have been for around 7 or perhaps 8 years, it's in my build thread somewhere.

There is no T in the system whatsoever, when I took mine and the others out this is the end result, nice, neat and tidy.

Let me know if some pictures are needed, but it will be next week as I am staying in town for a few days for doctors appointments.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom