Water on passenger side carpet, yes I searched and tried the standard fixes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60wag

SILVER Star
Threads
My passenger carpet gets wet when it rains or with melting snow sitting on the truck. I have read numerous wet carpet threads and tried lots of fixes but am still stumped. What makes my problem different from what I have read so far is that I have water dripping out of the heater blower recirculate door on the bottom of the blower housing.
It’s not a leaking heater core. I have red coolant in the engine and what is dripping isn’t red.

It’s not AC condensate. The truck will sit for weeks parked in front of my house. The carpet only gets wet when it rains, (or snow melt on the truck). Didn’t move the truck, never turned on the AC, the carpet gets wet. I pulled the AC drain tube anyhow and confirmed everything is clear. When I drive the truck and use the AC, the carpet doesn’t get wet.

I checked the sunroof drains. I poured water into the drains and it comes out the rocker slots onto the ground, no drips inside. I pushed a wire through the drain tubes and pulled down the headliner to make sure that the tubes were properly attached to the sunroof pan. Everything looked dry and tight.

I have had the windshield replaced. It was installed with a brand new OE gasket and had urethane sealant placed on both the glass and metal sides. Recently I tried using some colored construction paper as a indicator to trace leaks. If the paper gets wet, the color runs and indicates moisture even if it dries. I taped strips of the colored paper below the corners of the windshield tucked in behind the dashboard. When the carper gets wet, the paper indicators stay dry.

I also put some paper indicators along the upper front edge of the carpet, (above the passenger’s toes). No water appears to be coming down the inside of the firewall.
I also put paper around the wiring bundle behind the kick panel. There IS a trace a water there. It could be dripping from the blower housing above but hard to tell.

The caulking in the gutter looks pretty good. The door seal is in-tact. If water were dripping onto the open-door stop mech and then running into the quarter panel, would that drip onto the wiring? I doubt it would get into the blower housing.

So I can see water dripping from the blower housing door and a bit behind the kick panel.

I disassembled the wipers and the wiper linkage cover. It was quite clean in there. I was able to pour water in there from the garden hose and have it drain to the ground with no apparent leakage inside.

I could remover the dash to get a clear view of the top of the heater box and maybe see more clues but what a PITA. At this point I’m tempted to fit a small bucket around the blower housing to see if that catches almost all of the drip.

Any other ideas?

the entry point for air to the AC blower has a direct opening to the the part covered by the metal sheet between the hood and the windshield....it has a small part rising to prevent water coming in. Maybe this has rusted somehow and is allowing the water to drip in onto the blower fan....maybe thats why when you use the AC no water appears....OR...the truck needs and exorcism (Paranormal Trucktivity) :D

hope that helps. Good luck tracing the cause

I'm having a similar problem, but haven't gone to the extent that you have to figure out where the leak is coming from. I've removed the kick panel to find the end of the passenger side drain tube, which appears to just dangle in the little opening behind the kick panel. No idea why the great Yota engineers thought that was a good place to pool the water from the sunroof, but I'm betting that it's the cause of my leak. The tube is clear and the water, like yours, is only in the floor, nothing at toe level or higher. I'm going to get one of those little remote cameras to stuff down in the hole behind the kick panel to see what's down there and if there's a place that the sunroof drain tube should be routed.

I'm having the same problem, but I don't ever use my ac, and my truck hasn't been washed all summer. It's def not from rain!
Heater core?

the sunroof drain tube should be routed out the bottom of the kick panel and then drains into the rocker panels and out the drain holes in them.

i had a leak and fixwd the two normal spots. the sunroof drain and the windshield. i still found a small amount of water comming in. it will follow things like wires or duct work. if youopen the front doors there is a screw that holds the upper rear corner of the fender to the body. this screw sticks into the passanger compartment way up under the dash if i remember right. water running down from the roof can run over this screw. in my case a little was following the screw in. i pulled it our and squirted some fipg in there and coated the screw. no more leak for me.

also the windshield can leak between the gasket an the body. i think the water will enter bellow the level of the dash. you could still have a windshield leak if they didnt put it in right. i hate to say it. did it ever leak with the original windshield?

also i you know where it drips from put a cup there and collect some. once you have a half a cup or so it will be easy to see if it is rain water or coolant.

I currently have my dash removed. I'll have a look at what possibly might cause water to enter the blower hsg.

Check the Door that closes for Recirculating air on your A/C. I believe it should be high on the dash somewhere in the Vents just under your Windshield. of the door is not closing that might let water into the system only to pool at the lowest point.

AC drain was my culprit, but not the drain itself, but a missing grommet. There is supposed to be a grommet there that the hose goes through to keep water out. Mine was missing, so I caulked around it and no more leaks. I always thought it was the A/C condensation, but it was actually water from the rain coming in from the outside.

Interesting find. Just pulled that grommet out while doing some work, found that it's still fairly pliable but plan on replacing it. Here's a photo FWIW.

IMG_4585[1].jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom