Water on floor and in rocker panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.inditravel.org
I have read a few posts on this topic. Still...
My 1994 do not have any sun roof. On passenger side floor was wet and rocker panel was full of water.
I am aware the windscreen is an entry point for water, but is there any other place this can enter the car? Like e.g. ventilation/heater (It is water, not coolant)? I managed to stop a leak on driver side by using window sealant, but this time I'm thinking of pulling the windscreen, check for rust and seal it properly. But before that I would like to exclude other possibilities.

Also, there should be some drain points along the rocker panels, but I just cant find them. Where are these located?

There are very small drain holes in the body seem that can be accessed from under the vehicle at the lowest point of the rocker panel cavity. These tiny slits can become clogged rather easily and can be cleaned out with a zip tie or piece of wire.

I purposely removed the most forward and aft body plugs from the rockers and leave them removed to ensure positive drainage and air flow through the rocker cavity

Does yours have a roof mounted rack?

Another water entry point is the clips for the stainless steel trim on the underside of the rear windows.
This has potential to show up in the rockers. More typically, you'd see water in the bottom of the rear quarter panel, or rust on the jack and mounting bracket I've had rear cargo area carpet get saturated from this leak with water dripping onto plastic interior panel and finding is easy in onto the carpet.

There are very small drain holes in the body seem that can be accessed from under the vehicle at the lowest point of the rocker panel cavity. These tiny slits can become clogged rather easily and can be cleaned out with a zip tie or piece of wire.

I purposely removed the most forward and aft body plugs from the rockers and leave them removed to ensure positive drainage and air flow through the rocker cavity

I've done the same with plastic plugs.
Also used a small flat head screwdriver and driven it vertically up into the drain slots to open them up a bit

Thanks. I have now found 3 drain points. They were completely clogged, but I used a plastic strips to open. Altogether 2-3 liters water came out. I have not used the car much this winter and it has rained a lot.

Here's where water was entering my cab around the windshield molding. Then it ran along the firewall or kick panel onto the floor. As stated already, pull the rubber plug on the floor and let the water drain into your rocker panel. Make sure the rocker panel is able to drain the water out of itself and not clogged by debris.

1679947959820-png.3283799

I've had water on my passenger side floor/soaked carpet from my ac evaporator housing drain, the rubber tube that goes through the fire wall got knocked loose causing the water to drain inside the cab. But only an issue if the ac works, is on and if there's water inside when the car hasn't been in wet weather/washing etc.
(not my image)

image.jpg

Last edited:
Evap, windshield corner, and sunroof drains were all culprits in my musty PS floorboard. Mostly the windshield- i've used gasket sealant to reapply as best as possible on both body and glass side to stopslow the leaking. I have a bucket of damp rid handy in the garage now during the deluges of rain we get currently...

@Erwin, the body drains in the rocker panels won't work until the pockets inside the cabin fill up to the point they overflow into the rocker panels. If you remove the plastic covers on either side of the front floorboards, you'll see (ca.) 75x75-mm windows in the body panels, which have electrical wiring stuffed into them. Pull the wires out and stick your fingers into the pockets. There is a weir, of sorts, over which water inside this pocket must flow in order to reach into the rocker panel. There are two body panel screws at the bottom of this pocket, which can be removed form outside, at the lower rear edge of the fender. I would suggest removing one of these, at least temporarily, in order to prevent any further water damage inside the cabin. Removal of either of these screws will allow water in the pocket to drain directly onto the ground, through the fender, bypassing the ill conceived rocker panel drains. Toyota adopted this design after the 80s ceased production.

If the rocker panel pocket fills and water continues to fill the inner kickpanel pocket, the level will reach the harness connectors before it spills out onto the floor. These connectors should be opened and inspected for corrosion and cleaned if necessary.

The A/C drain will not cause the rocker panels to fill; the drain tube clears the water in the drain pan and then exits through the firewall under the glovebox. If the tube is clogged, the pan will overflow onto the floor.

It is possible that the door front drains may become clogged and allow water that is supposed to be precluded by the window felts to enter the door and fill the lower area, and then spill onto the floorboard. If this happened, you'd know it, though. It takes a lot of water to do that, you' dhear it in the door and the water would be along the threshold as well as the floorboard.

The most likely source of water, if you do not have a sunroof or other roof penetrations, is the windshield, especially the lower corners, as noted by others above.

Hi, Once in my fj62 somebody manipulates the small hose of a/c water drain and all this water was falling on the passenger floor with the a/c on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom