water leaks / paint / windshield, 80/20 roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well - the old girl is going under the knife for some much needed water leak repairs and paint work.

• pull the front fenders and re-seal up any body seams that might be allowing water into the footwells
  • pull the windshield ( it was the original - had about 9 good sized rock chips)
  • fix any rust that might be under the windshield gasket
  • paint the roof
  • paint the cowling
  • paint drivers side fender (and fix some dents)
  • cityracer wiper upgrades
  • new wiper arm cowl trim bits

1615415160515.png

pretty rough patina that could lead to corrosion - getting this taken care of before it gets worse - and float in new self leveling sealer in that gutter seam all the way around
1615415195035.png

1615415381066.png

After she gets back home - I plan to build a new 80/20 aluminum roof rack.

Before the rack install I intend to have an auto wrap shop put a matte grey wrap on the roof...so that once the new rack goes up there - the new paint is protected from general wear & tear & cargo basket mishaps. (like wet fishing boots and such)

And hopefully with dry floors - finally install the carpet kit I bought in 2018 when I did my 5 speed swap. I can't wait for the cabin to be quieter on road trips!

i'll post back to this thread when i get updates from the body shop.

Last edited:
Remove the rack every few years and clean and WAX the roof or pay the price in the future. I learned that lesson the old fashioned way - experience

Remove the rack every few years and clean and WAX the roof or pay the price in the future. I learned that lesson the old fashioned way - experience

yeah - i admit to being guilty of not doing that. what's interesting is that when i bought the truck in 2017 - the paint looked great...and it seems like the first summer I owned it - took it to wyoming for some fishing - and very soon after the roof patina kicked in. i think i (the sun) cooked it...and the old rack never comes off.

i'm thinking that a vinyl/pvc wrap will go a long way toward protecting the new paint too.

project updates:

before -
1616091414578.png

after -
1616091468453.png

1616091647261.png

shop had some fun finding and excavating all the fender bolts
1616092031230.png

they're still chasing 1 more water leak - but so far I'm pleased with their work and the progress.

once the water leaks are tackled...they'll move onto removing the windshield - address any corrosion they find there - then prep for painting the roof / rain gutter / cowling area + new self-leveling sealer in the gutter.
fix fender dent and paint that too.

yeah for progress!

"while they're at it"

since I wanted the whole wiper cowling area painted (deal with severe patina) I had them pull the windshield and deal with any corrosion (none found) -
IMG_1892.jpeg

new windshield & gasket - saved the chrome strips / new wiper arms from City Racer
IMG_1893.jpeg

they fixed a bunch of water infiltration issues that was preventing me from installing new carpet & padding (since it would just get wet and then promptly mold/mildew in oregon)

while the drivers side fender was off - I had them fix a couple dents and spray that fender....they did a good job blending it into the door.
IMG_1895.jpeg

this was not meant to be a restoration job... at some point i'd like to have the whole rig sprayed - but since it's a rust free / great running truck - i use it for what it's for and don't really want to drop $10K++ on a paint job to immediately have it gouged by the places we like to camp.

The work looks great. Mind if I ask who did the work?
not at all - Steve's Auto Body/Restoration.

someone told me about them as a good source for old porsche restoration. I wanted someone who knows about old car quirks.... i was reassured when I pulled in - there was a good looking FJ40 being worked on - several VW Westy vans, a very vintage Land Rover - other cool items as well...so that sealed it for me, i didnt haggle much.

the price wasn't great...but they did good quality work. very very slowly!!! but that's OK.

Did that fix your water leaks?
well - i sure hope so!!

the shop said that they showered it heavily and kept at it until they saw no drips - so i'm hoping its cured...but i'm also holding off with carpet & padding until i've washed it a few times and keep a close eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom