Water leaking up through the floor of cargo area - thoughts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed my cargo area was a little wet after some rain. There aren’t any wet spots in the headliner so it makes me think it’s not the rack or sun roof. The rear pillars and the rear tailgate appear dry. I have a Husky cargo liner so it’s not falling from above.

After looking more closely at it, the water appears to be coming up through the floor... 🤔

has anyone ever seen anything like this? Have any thoughts on where I start?

F77013A5-4D17-4F2D-ADA7-905A1C0ADA2A.jpeg

AEB14FC8-065B-4349-85E7-67D17FFE9713.jpeg

how is the third brake light in the hatch? known leak area
you can get to that area fairly easily, remove the plastic fold down piece and the carpet will pull right up and you can see if the floor is rotted
were you driving? I can't see water going up while sitting parked.

how is the third brake light in the hatch? known leak area
you can get to that area fairly easily, remove the plastic fold down piece and the carpet will pull right up and you can see if the floor is rotted
were you driving? I can't see water going up while sitting parked.
No not driving. The car is parked in my driveway. I have to think water is getting in somewhere and pooling up under the cargo area. That’s why I was checking the headliner and pillars.

At one point I thought that maybe it was a bad weather strong deal around the hatch area.

I’ll check on the light. I appreciate the suggestion

No answers but I’m dealing with a replacement windshield leak and a cargo area leak. Pretty annoying.

No answers but I’m dealing with a replacement windshield leak and a cargo area leak. Pretty annoying.
Yeah I had a leak in my old 4Runner that I thought was the result of a bad replacement windshield. Turned out it was a plugged drainage hole in the sun roof. Took me a while to diagnose but once I did I never had a problem again. I dreaded rainy days for a while though...

the 100 series sunroof drains are in the "A" and "C" pillars nowhere near the rear cargo area

not driving, it can't be coming up under the floor, unless submerged

Reactions: MJK
the 100 series sunroof drains are in the "A" and "C" pillars nowhere near the rear cargo area

not driving, it can't be coming up under the floor, unless submerged

When I say from below, what I’m thinking is there is some leak above that feeds down to the base of the cargo area and traps the water there until enough pops and it comes back up through the carpet.

You can see at least one spot in the pictures where there is a wet spot surrounded by dry carpet. This spot is beneath my cargo liner. So this isn’t a leak from the side otherwise the carpet next to it would be wet. And it couldn’t have come from above because it’s under the liner.

Could water leak through my rack mount and run down the rear pillars without getting the headliner or pillars wet inside the car?

I'd rip up the carpet and sit inside while someone outside sprays different sites with a hose. Rear brake light, upper/lower hatch gaskets, etc. -- This will also let you see if any holes in the floor metal.

Check the top of the weatherstrip on the upper hatch- it tends to collect leaves an debris there and can let water in.

Check the upper brake lamp for leaks- pull the two mount plugs and have a look for moisture. Water will run down the inside sides of the hatch and pool where around the carpet meets the edge of lower hatch.

The rear cargo rack mounts could be leaking.

i am facing a similar issue with my 200. can someone help? searching the forums but this is the best thread to get my question answered from what i can tell.

i'm getting water through during rain and automated car wash - down from the top of the drivers side in the cargo area. It runs down the very back panel - by the DC electrical outlet. it runs down through the speaker (where i see the water come out) and down onto the floor

someone told me it might be the screw to the cargo rack, or the weatherstripping might be bad and it's getting in there. i looked at it - but the weatherstripping looks fine. small holes maybe?

i am facing a similar issue with my 200. can someone help? searching the forums but this is the best thread to get my question answered from what i can tell.

i'm getting water through during rain and automated car wash - down from the top of the drivers side in the cargo area. It runs down the very back panel - by the DC electrical outlet. it runs down through the speaker (where i see the water come out) and down onto the floor

someone told me it might be the screw to the cargo rack, or the weatherstripping might be bad and it's getting in there. i looked at it - but the weatherstripping looks fine. small holes maybe?
I'd make a post in the 200 forum

For all of those playing at home...

It ended up being the weather stripping around the rear hatch. A lot of dirt had gotten under it and rather than diverting water down and away from the interior, it was catching water and funneling it inside the weather strip down to the bottom of the cargo area where it would then spill over onto the floorboard UNDERNEATH the carpet causing it to only become visible in areas where it pooled up enough to soak through the carpet from the bottom.

I took off the weather strip and cleaned both it and the car. I also turned my car so I park with the front point down the driveway so the majority of the rain runs off the front of the car instead of being funneled to the back hatch. I haven’t had a single problem since.

I may get some sealant to put on the interior of the weather strip to ensure a weather proof seal even if dirt accumulated again.

I replaced my rear hatch weatherstrip not too long ago. It was an easy job. The old one peeled right out. Clean the metal like a maniac (the ridge the seal rides on), use the correct sealant, and work the new seal on a section at a time. The sand I was seeing in the bottom of the hatch no longer collects. Rear hatch and tailgate seal really well, you can feel it when you close them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom