Water leaking in, soaking front passenger carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anybody give some tips on fixing a water leak that is occurring behind the plastic panel on the front passenger side. I can see the drip but can't see up in there well enough to determine the source.

A while back I had some sealer applied around the corner of the windshield because I thought that was where it was coming from. Now it's raining, leak is there, but it does not seem to be leaking there.

My carpet is getting soaked.

Thanks.

Sounds like your heater core is toast. I know nothing about how to access it in these trucks but its usually a pretty messy stand on your head and contort type job. But its not earthshaking. BTW stopleak is evil only for emergencies as it plugs up your heater core and readiator.

The leak only occurs when it's raining. I thought it was coming in around the windshield, but it does not seem to be. Are there any other entry points to check. Should I try to take the plastic panel off to get a better look?

I had a leak on my truck that came from the sun roof. When it rained, water would get in through the sun roof and was channeled to a resevoir under the truck. I could hear the water splashing around when I hit the breaks, and the water would only leak in on the passenger side carpet. I'm not sure if this is the problem you have, but what I did to fix mine was remove these little plastic plugs on either side of the truck behind the running boards.

DJForrestA said:
Sounds like your heater core is toast. I know nothing about how to access it in these trucks but its usually a pretty messy stand on your head and contort type job. But its not earthshaking. BTW stopleak is evil only for emergencies as it plugs up your heater core and readiator.

Nope

Sounds like leak from sunroof - check the FAQ threads and look at some of the older threads. Pretty robust writeups.

Satchmo said:
I had a leak on my truck that came from the sun roof. When it rained, water would get in through the sun roof and was channeled to a resevoir under the truck. I could hear the water splashing around when I hit the breaks, and the water would only leak in on the passenger side carpet. I'm not sure if this is the problem you have, but what I did to fix mine was remove these little plastic plugs on either side of the truck behind the running boards.
Good advice for a first post! I agree, if it is no longer leaking around the windshield seal, check the sunroof drains and maybe pull the plug underneath the rocker panels to help it drain.

water leak

My carpet was getting soaked. The alarm stated going haywire etc. etc. :mad:
I thought that it was coming from the front window but I was wrong. It was a leak in the weather striping on the sun-roof cant get just the striping had to order the whole sun-roof cost us about $1.500 with labor. :mad:

Thanks for all of the help. It was leaking around the front right corner of the sunroof, and my drain hole was plugged, it appeared (had some gunk around it and some junk came out when I poured water through it.)

By the way it appeared that the wind deflector installed on my sunroof had a metal clip that fastens it in place. This is where the seal around the sunroof glass is leaking. Gonna try to fix that too.

Sorry I didn't really read his post. I just glanced saw wet carpet on passenger floor and something about stop leak. Anyway good to know about the sunroof. I've never had mine wet before so I'll have to check it out. My sunroof will tilt up but not slide back. It will move forward tilt up but it just won't move to the open position.

I don't know about fixing the leak, but let me tell you from experience if there is water in the car it needs to be dried ASAP. They stench of mold wet 80 Carpet is THE WORST and you can't get it out once it has established itself under the carpet without taking out the whole carpet and padding(even then it still stinks a little.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom