Water leaking down to passenger side floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rain. 8 months out of the year where I live. It helps nature and keeps the mountains green and the rivers full so I've always been fine with it until now. My new baby is suffering and me being a good dad, so am I. Yes I can park her in the shop but I want to figure out this problem. So, does anyone know what might be doing this? I've never been a fan of a sunroof. A buddy of mine has a 4runner and he told me about what helped stop his from leaking. Yes we learn something new everyday! These little holes up in the roof, under the window seal drain it. I couldn't even see it but found them and cleaned out as best I could. Not sure where they drain out though?
20211024_150808.jpg
20211024_164415.jpg
20211024_152541.jpg

Most commonly this would either be the sunroof drain or windshield. In my case my passenger side was the windshield, leaking at the bottom corner seal. However, driver side was sunroof drain, found its way on top of the headliner and ran down the driver’s a-pillar behind plastic trim. Get under the truck and clear the rocker panel slits where the sunroof drain hoses exit. Then check around the interior windshield seal to see if you find any water. In the meantime, with the footwell trim piece removed, lift the carpet and remove the drain plug, so any water that does make it in before being fixed will drain out. Personally, I rerouted my drain hoses through that plug hole, as the rocker panel drain is tiny and easily clogged. Have not had a problem since, including resealing my windshield.

What part of the world do you live in? Curious because I also live in an exceptionally rainy place..

Most commonly this would either be the sunroof drain or windshield. In my case my passenger side was the windshield, leaking at the bottom corner seal. However, driver side was sunroof drain, found its way on top of the headliner and ran down the driver’s a-pillar behind plastic trim. Get under the truck and clear the rocker panel slits where the sunroof drain hoses exit. Then check around the interior windshield seal to see if you find any water. In the meantime, with the footwell trim piece removed, lift the carpet and remove the drain plug, so any water that does make it in before being fixed will drain out. Personally, I rerouted my drain hoses through that plug hole, as the rocker panel drain is tiny and easily clogged. Have not had a problem since, including resealing my windshield.

What part of the world do you live in? Curious because I also live in an exceptionally rainy place..
Ok ill keep investigating and do that. Thanks. Im in northwestern Washington.

Cool, I’m up in Juneau AK. I feel your pain.

If you have any questions about the above, shoot. If you take care of those things and it isn’t a cure, report back.

Cool, I’m up in Juneau AK. I feel your pain.

If you have any questions about the above, shoot. If you take care of those things and it isn’t a cure, report back.
Sounds good. I will. Is this Westcoast hurricane up in your town? I'd have to look at a map to see. Here I'm lucky to still have power:) and haven't had to run the generator yet.

We get hurricane weather all the time and it never makes the news, as it’s just normal. Got hit hard Friday, but nothing much to note. Will see how this “atmospheric river” continues!

Last edited:
We get hurricane weather all the time and it never makes the news, as it’s just normal. Got hit hard Friday, but nothing much to note. Will see how this “atmospheric river” continues!
Ya I had a buddy that was up there for about 5yrs and he told me that. Next thing you know north will be south when the poles flip!

As mentioned Those front drains Feed a tube that leads to the rockers. But there are two rear drains as well that lead back over wheel arches to rear quarters. Use a length of weed eater line to cautiously clean them out and as recommended as well clean out the pinch weld slits in the rockers to allow egress if the water.

Wet carpets and leaks are all very well discussed here. If occurring with the rain I’ll agree sunroof or windshield. Look inside your windshield gasket in the corners for any schmutz or sign of water/debris infiltration. If it comes to replacement make sure to use OEM gasket and find a place willing to follow the directions of flying the gasket to the body and the glass. Or you can use the roofing urethane write up as a temp stop gap to see if it’s your cause.

As mentioned Those front drains Feed a tube that leads to the rockers. But there are two rear drains as well that lead back over wheel arches to rear quarters. Use a length of weed eater line to cautiously clean them out and as recommended as well clean out the pinch weld slits in the rockers to allow egress if the water.

Wet carpets and leaks are all very well discussed here. If occurring with the rain I’ll agree sunroof or windshield. Look inside your windshield gasket in the corners for any schmutz or sign of water/debris infiltration. If it comes to replacement make sure to use OEM gasket and find a place willing to follow the directions of flying the gasket to the body and the glass. Or you can use the roofing urethane write up as a temp stop gap to see if it’s your cause.
Ok you say rockers. What are those? And where can I find the rear drain holes? I look up in the sunroof but didn't see any.

Dry it out and an easy way to test the windshield is just have someone pour water on it all around the seals while you watch the inside. If it's that easy fix to seal

I didn't even bother with my sunroof and just sealed it shut as well.

Rocker panels. The portion of body running wheel well to wheel well under the doors. The vulnerable bits sliders are intended to protect.

And my bad. Forgot to link this thread.

Dry it out and an easy way to test the windshield is just have someone pour water on it all around the seals while you watch the inside. If it's that easy fix to seal

I didn't even bother with my sunroof and just sealed it shut as well.
How did you seal the sunroof shut? Something easier than welding a plate over it!? Easy fix to seal? Is that something I can buy or do I need to go spend 300 on a shop to pull it out and reseal it?

How did you seal the sunroof shut? Something easier than welding a plate over it!? Easy fix to seal? Is that something I can buy or do I need to go spend 300 on a shop to pull it out and reseal it?
I can't remember what sealant I used but I literally just applied it around the opening/seal on the outside and let it dry.
Disconnected the wiring so no on could try and open it.

Has been ~5 years and still good to go

I can't remember what sealant I used but I literally just applied it around the opening/seal on the outside and let it dry.
Disconnected the wiring so no on could try and open it.

Has been ~5 years and still good to go
Same way on the windshield?

I used NP1 sealant, but there are other good choices. I think you don’t want to use silicon, if I recall correctly? Probably still works.

I didn’t care to fix my worn out sunroof seal and don’t care about being able to open it. With it open, I ran a bead around the inner edge of the opening, closed it to seal to the sunroof itself, and then ran a bead around the seam on top. The switch for the motor shares a connector with the dome light, so you pop the dome light cover off, undo the connector, and pull the corresponding pins. This way you still have a dome light, but can’t accidentally open the sunroof and break the seal. That was my mistake & why I had to reseal it..

Rocker panels are the bottom edge of the vehicle between the wheels - they’re what rock sliders protect, or if stock, it’s the bottom edge that your running boards hang down from.

From under the truck, you’ll see where the front floor drain plug is, and the sunroof drain hole is near there on the inner side of the rocker panel. I’ll see if I can find my picture. The drain hose itself goes down into the rockers, and the little slit in the pinch weld is where water drains. Very small, so easily clogged.

For my windshield, I ran a bead of sealant around each seam, both on the glass side & body side. No leaks ever since.

Last edited:
Here is the slit (drain) in the rocker, in this case on driver side.

130D0190-66F4-4C01-B0EC-E05EB0E3350E.jpeg

And here is my front drain hose on passenger side, which I re-routed through the drain plug hole by your feet. The rear drain hoses hang down like this, somewhere around the rear wheels under the truck - you’ll see them if you poke around with a light

B24D1F79-A69B-49F4-8920-A0C439B26437.jpeg

I used NP1 sealant, but there are other good choices. I think you don’t want to use silicon, if I recall correctly? Probably still works.

I didn’t care to fix my worn out sunroof seal and don’t care about being able to open it. With it open, I ran a bead around the inner edge of the opening, closed it to seal to the sunroof itself, and then ran a bead around the seam on top. The switch for the motor shares a connector with the dome light, so you pop the dome light cover off, undo the connector, and pull the corresponding pins. This way you still have a dome light, but can’t accidentally open the sunroof and break the seal. That was my mistake & why I had to reseal it..

Rocker panels are the bottom edge of the vehicle between the wheels - they’re what rock sliders protect, or if stock, it’s the bottom edge that your running boards hang down from.

From under the truck, you’ll see where the front floor drain plug is, and the sunroof drain hole is near there on the inner side of the rocker panel. I’ll see if I can find my picture. The drain hose itself goes down into the rockers, and the little slit in the pinch weld is where water drains. Very small, so easily clogged.

For my windshield, I ran a bead of sealant around each seam, both on the glass side & body side. No leaks ever since.
Sweet man, thankyou!

Ive dealt with a wet passenger carpet. Mine was mostly the windshield and it was easily visible in the inside corner once I got over the sunroof drain hurdle. While I was investigating this I cleaned the the sunroof drains and rerouted the drains out of the rocker panel. The sunroof drains are designed to handle whatever water gets through a "good" sunroof seal. Most of these old trucks have sunroof seals that are not as tight as when new....too much water through the seal overwhelms the drains and spills out of the sunroof tray. It ends up in the headliner and will run down the pillar just like yours does... Its easy to replicate; open the sunroof and pour water in the tray until it overflows....when I did this it came right down the pillar. I shimmed the sunroof seal similar to the bicycle tube method and also replaced the little foam dams in the tray corners. In the end I had two leak zones...the poorly sealed sunroof and primarily the windshield...the windshield puts the water closer to the firewall but still some inside the pillar. I used and recommend the FIRETRUCK method to reseal the windshield to its gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom