Water Leakage Somewhere??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear cargo area carpet & insulation is getting wet when it rains hard and I can't seem to isolate the problem. It seems to soak the insulation first and then bleed thru to my carpet...seems to be coming from below or somewhere that it 'pools' and spills...then migrates underneath carpet. Mostly wet at extreme rear of vehicle at sides and in front of threshold / kickplate strip. I'm pulling up the carpet and investigate tomorrow...any ideas?

Do you have a sunroof? Could be the rear drains. Search for sunroof threads.

Yeah...thanks. I just recall the drains always soaking the interior floor boards etc. but never heard anyone say the rear cargo area was getting wet...who knows, I'm going to clean'em all out tomorrow with trimmer line and compressed air anyways.

One other way to isolate leaks is to close off all the exterior vents, i.e. the two at the rear of the truck behind the sliding windows, set the ventilation systems on recirculate, high. Now around the widow area you suspect the leak apply soapy water and look for the bubblies.

I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense. If water is going in air should be come out if all the exterior vents are sealed.

I had that problem about 18 months ago. There were 2 items that needed attemtion. Fist remove the trim panels from the rear. Look up, just below the sliding rear window. You will see some plactic pins that hold a trim strip for the rear sliding window. The seals begin to leak and water drips from around the pins. Seal around the plastic pins with RTV silicone.

Also, on the outside behind the rear windows, there are the platic covers that look like vents. Mine were not sealed to the body. Water would drip from the gutter and run down the side directly into the crack of the vent. This would end up inside soaking the rear carpet. I pumped the gap full of RTV silicon. You want to clean up around the outside before it hardens.

One other way to isolate leaks is to close off all the exterior vents, i.e. the two at the rear of the truck behind the sliding windows, set the ventilation systems on recirculate, high. Now around the widow area you suspect the leak apply soapy water and look for the bubblies.

I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense. If water is going in air should be come out if all the exterior vents are sealed.

I tried this today and it didn't work. However, when I was trying I noticed that if you open a door and shut it quickly it will blow air out of any opening. I had the rear window covered in thick subs and when I shut the door it actually blew holes in the suds at the bottom on my DS sliding window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom