Water Leak / Windshield Molding/Garnish/Trim question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had some water leak issues just about a year ago, turns out it was the clogged sunroof drain on the drivers side of my truck. Cleared it out but I had a fairly sizeable crack on my windshield so out of an abundance of caution I replaced the windshield as well. Now as you all quietly sit and judge I did NOT go OEM and had safelite do it, they did have printouts of a FSM and had done it before so I rolled the dice.

Fast forward 8 months and the rubber garnish (#3 in the image attached) on the passenger side comes loose and is flopping in the wind. I go back to safelite and they say its just for noise reduction and doesn't affect function. Great. I tuck it back in with some bubble gum. Eventually it came loose and I guess my wife closed it into the passenger door where it stayed not bothering her. This weekend after some fairly significant rain I get in to drive the truck and it smells like mildew and sour milk. Pull out the weather tech mats and the passenger floor is fairly wet (carpet, the pad underneath is actually shockingly dry).

I pull back the trim piece and note that there are some small open holes in the frame that it is supposed to be covering, I'm guessing water intrusion happened either there or ran down the trim through the door which it was closed in.

QUESTION 1: Are there supposed to be little holes under this piece or were those supposed to be closed with rivets during installation? Also do I need to drop some urethane in there?
QUESTION 2: In the image is part #1 and #2. I cannot find what this is called, does anyone know what this is called? Should I replace it at the same time?

Very annoyingly I will say I had her at the Lexus dealer and they 1) refused to replace the part, told me I had to take it to a body shop 1 hour away, and 2) refused to give me the part number for ay of the parts. Acted like it was a state secret. Its a $26 part, considering I've given you a couple of thousand dollars over the years you figure you could throw in a part number. Pretty disappointed in Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria. Learned my lesson, will plan ahead and make my next appointment with OTRAM

windshield.png

Partsouq.com is good for part numbers just run your VIN number.

edit: I just realized I brought back a dead thread for no reason sorry LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom