Water leak on driverside pillar..source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy fellas!

Raining here today in NC and took my 62 out fer a spin before some guests came over. Noticed that I had water dripping from my grab handle on the driverside pillar. When I got home I looked closer and the pillar fabric was wet right around and above the top screw mount on the grab handle which was funneling down the grab handle and dripping. I took the grab handle off, door seal and peeled off the fabric cover to discover I couldn't see much but foam around where the mount hole is. My 62 is pretty clean with no rust around the rain gutters. Has anyone seen this and know where the source maybe? Wondering if it might be the top of the windshield seal?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Yohan

Howdy ol' blue! Did some searching as I was being a lazyarse before;) Sounds like it's more than likely our sealant in our rain gutters, whether or not if you have a roof rack or not, sounds like at their age this starts happening, which can be corrected by scraping out the old and putting new sealant down. If your windsheild was ever replaced, the installer may of not used silicone to seal the gasket. Gonna pull my rack and check the gutter sealant for cracks or holes. Here some links below. One person suggested "3M Seam Sealer. It comes in a tube and is found a automotive paint supply places."

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/58394-wet-floor.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/108171-rain-gutter-water-leak.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/93108-pillar-water-leak.html

Gutters or WS gasket leak. Gutters don't have to be rusty to leak. The sikaflex/caulking that seals the gutters on the roof and down the A pillar might have small cracks in it. Pinpointing the leak is the time consuming and frustrating part. I have taped a garden hose to the roof and directed a slight flow of water to just the WS. Let run and check. Then direct the flow to just the drivers side gutter.
Good Luck

Gutters or WS gasket leak. Gutters don't have to be rusty to leak. The sikaflex/caulking that seals the gutters on the roof and down the A pillar might have small cracks in it. Pinpointing the leak is the time consuming and frustrating part. I have taped a garden hose to the roof and directed a slight flow of water to just the WS. Let run and check. Then direct the flow to just the drivers side gutter.
Good Luck

Thanks for the tips CP! Gonna yank the basket rack off and run the garden hose just in the gutter, this should tell me whether it's the windsheild or gutter that's leaking on me.

Thanks for the tips CP! Gonna yank the basket rack off and run the garden hose just in the gutter, this should tell me whether it's the windsheild or gutter that's leaking on me.
Whats more frustrating is that when you use a garden hose you are dealing with a completly differant type of water .Rain water has no surface tension like the water that comes out of our pipes.Spend enough time looking for leaks in roofs with a garden hose and you will come to this conclusion. I had a roofer point this out to me... Its kinda like water beading up on wax (surface tension) as opposed to an oxidised finish. You can use a bucket of water and some laundry detergent to break the surface tension of the water ...you should only need about a cap full. I found my leak in the roof rail this way and i tried it both ways just to see and sure as you know what the hose water would not leak through. hopr this helps

Whats more frustrating is that when you use a garden hose you are dealing with a completly differant type of water .Rain water has no surface tension like the water that comes out of our pipes.Spend enough time looking for leaks in roofs with a garden hose and you will come to this conclusion. I had a roofer point this out to me... Its kinda like water beading up on wax (surface tension) as opposed to an oxidised finish. You can use a bucket of water and some laundry detergent to break the surface tension of the water ...you should only need about a cap full. I found my leak in the roof rail this way and i tried it both ways just to see and sure as you know what the hose water would not leak through. hopr this helps

It does, thank you! FYI fellas, a buddy of mine is a roofer and he recommended this stuff as he uses it. Says it tough as nails and it comes in over 350 colors, fer the anal ones like I:)

Geocel Corporation - Manufacturer of Quality Sealants, Caulks, and Adhesives Designed for Tough Construction and Repair Applications

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom