Water leak front passenger floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I’m new to posting here but I have a problem with water getting into my front passenger floor board and it appears to be coming from somewhere in the pillar possibly. I checked the sunroof drains, sealed the sunroof all with no success. Are there any weak points in the fender or pillar that would explain this? I also had the windshield inspected by two different people who said the seals on the windshield were intact. Is the cowl a possibility?

Below are some photos of the leaking spot. It is running right at the bottom of the dash.

Thanks for the help!

my rig is a 1994

35595B9E-422A-46CB-9F48-EF4382079093.jpeg

F9D8BD48-6440-4A50-8580-A118DD58AE0A.jpeg

Hello everyone, I’m new to posting here but I have a problem with water getting into my front passenger floor board and it appears to be coming from somewhere in the pillar possibly. I checked the sunroof drains, sealed the sunroof all with no success. Are there any weak points in the fender or pillar that would explain this? I also had the windshield inspected by two different people who said the seals on the windshield were intact. Is the cowl a possibility?

Below are some photos of the leaking spot. It is running right at the bottom of the dash.

Thanks for the help!

my rig is a 1994

View attachment 2274420

View attachment 2274421
Was the windshield replaced before?! Or recently? If there is no sealant on both sides of the window. Ask me how I know! It could be the sunroof drain did you check under the LC at the drain slots?

I'm having the same issue. But it seems to be that the door itself is the source. The carpet on my doorcards were soaked and were dripping onto the floor. I haven't addressed it yet, but I will. Try cleaning the door drains near the bottom of the door. 20 years of dirt has probably clogged them.

Was the windshield replaced before?! Or recently? If there is no sealant on both sides of the window. Ask me how I know! It could be the sunroof drain did you check under the LC at the drain slots?

I really don't know if the windshield has been replaced as I've only owned it for 1 year and the records do not report a replacement. So they need to place sealant under the window eh... the rubber gasket around the windshield is very tight and doesn't appear to be loose whatsoever. I don't' know how to check for the sealant without removing the windshield.

I did check the sunroof drains and they appear clear with water pouring out the rocker panels. My only other thought is that the drain tubes are damaged in some way and leaking out the side. I also taped off the sunroof in an attempt to track down the leak and it fixed a leak on the rear passenger pillar but didn't change anything on the front passenger.

Thanks Mkfour! That's a great idea as I haven't investigated the door drains yet. I'll look into it.

The weather stripping on the door looks like it is in decent shape and is soft supple and appears to seal with no drip marks or dirt streaking past it beyond the door. Your recommendation is a good one and I'll have to look into it a bit more.

I really don't know if the windshield has been replaced as I've only owned it for 1 year and the records do not report a replacement. So they need to place sealant under the window eh... the rubber gasket around the windshield is very tight and doesn't appear to be loose whatsoever. I don't' know how to check for the sealant without removing the windshield.

I did check the sunroof drains and they appear clear with water pouring out the rocker panels. My only other thought is that the drain tubes are damaged in some way and leaking out the side. I also taped off the sunroof in an attempt to track down the leak and it fixed a leak on the rear passenger pillar but didn't change anything on the front passenger.

Thanks Mkfour! That's a great idea as I haven't investigated the door drains yet. I'll look into it.

The weather stripping on the door looks like it is in decent shape and is soft supple and appears to seal with no drip marks or dirt streaking past it beyond the door. Your recommendation is a good one and I'll have to look into it a bit more.
You should be able to pull back the gasket a little and see if there is Sealant. Mine looked snug and tight but when it rained it flowed like a river.

It was the R side of my windshield leaking that caused the same issue for me. I was able to get some sealant around the windshield seal, which solved the problem.

It was the R side of my windshield leaking that caused the same issue for me. I was able to get some sealant around the windshield seal, which solved the problem.

Thanks so much! I think I'm going to go down the windshield path as it seems like that is the likely culprit. I might just try and seal it until I have the chance to send it in for a full windshield/seal replacement. What kind of sealant did you use? I used something to attempt to seal the sunroof and I royally messed things up. I used some left over exterior siding caulk.... Bad choice on my part.

I actually bought a tube of some really gnarly windshield sealant from a local glass shop, it smelled awful and was highly adhesive. It was was better than RTV, it seemed. I used a putty knife and a few rags and some rubbing alcohol to try and get under and clean out the area to be sealed. I also used painter's tape on the paint to try and minimize overflow into the paint. I suggest doing it out of the sun and in the morning, so the sealant doesn't set up as fast. Just take your time and try to get a good bead under the flap of the windshield seal, without getting it all over the adjacent paint.
I sealed mine up that way almost five years ago, and no leaks yet. Good luck, it's a messy job but not difficult. Post up your results.

I actually bought a tube of some really gnarly windshield sealant from a local glass shop, it smelled awful and was highly adhesive. It was was better than RTV, it seemed. I used a putty knife and a few rags and some rubbing alcohol to try and get under and clean out the area to be sealed. I also used painter's tape on the paint to try and minimize overflow into the paint. I suggest doing it out of the sun and in the morning, so the sealant doesn't set up as fast. Just take your time and try to get a good bead under the flap of the windshield seal, without getting it all over the adjacent paint.
I sealed mine up that way almost five years ago, and no leaks yet. Good luck, it's a messy job but not difficult. Post up your results.

Fantastic! I will give it a shot and post the results for sure! Thanks so much for the tips and pointers.

So I got the hose out and had water pouring in down the firewall it appeared (see First pics) when the hose was mid windshield

I also had watercoming in the rocker panels from the electrical wires from the door panel.It appears the rocker panels just drain out the bottom, correct? I don’t think any water intrusion into the passenger floor would be from this but likely the source is the firewall leak with high suspension for the windshield seal like you all are recommending. I did not get any water when the hose was in the cowl vent and running. I’ll Be attempting to seal the windshield on Monday

69B51950-52EB-4977-824A-7E59C80969FB.jpeg

CF8C0C42-C7AD-4950-93F4-01854AD72D87.jpeg

F6266882-0B76-4543-8ABF-55C7077907EA.jpeg

So I found out one of my sunroof drains was completely disconnected from the sunroof which is why it was soaking the rear drivers side pillar when it rained. I'm sealing the windshield tomorrow and I'll test it after that. Hopefully that fixes all the leaks!

I had a similar issue, sloshing water sound and wet floor board. It was the AC line clogged. I pushed weed eater line into the drain line on the engine bay firewall and over a gallon of water dumped out. If the honey come looking area under the dash is wet that’s possibly the issue.

1DC88C2F-90EE-4E19-98B0-FFFB4BE0890C.jpeg

I had a similar issue, sloshing water sound and wet floor board. It was the AC line clogged. I pushed weed eater line into the drain line on the engine bay firewall and over a gallon of water dumped out. If the honey come looking area under the dash is wet that’s possibly the issue.

View attachment 2393024
Yeah I checked that and it looked pretty dry. It appears to be coming from a screw near the inner panel of the dash. I'm going to try and pull off the gutter trim and see if there is a rust spot or something causing it to leak. I thought i Nailed it down after sealing the windshield again but I wasn't successful in stopping the leak. I didn't affect it at all. Perhaps it is the pinch weld in the roof or a pillar gutter.

Thanks for the help!

my rig is a 1994

View attachment 2274420

View attachment 2274421
I had that problem twice. First time it was the heater core sprang a leak. Second time was the ac drain. I hope that helped you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom