Water-jet cutting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know aircraft maintenance engineers use them, but I don't know of any easily accessable to the public. Unfortunately a friend of mine who does this job and has used them has moved to Quebec. I'll email and ask him if he knows of any that can be accessed.

Moose,

There are a couple in Edmonton that I have used....

If you cannot find one PM me....

Todd

I do believe Nanaimo Sheet Metal has one ...I may be interested in one of those too if they can knock em out fairly quickly ( read cheaply...)

cheers,
ryan

I have talked to Nanaimo Sheet Metal, they are very expensive and are not very interested in one or two offs.

There is a young guy in the Parksville area doing some pretty cool stuff with a CNC machine, to bad he doese not have a water jet table.....

Why do you absolutely want waterjet cutting ? The last flange I made was using a drill press with a holesaw and some filing ontop :D

denis said:
Why do you absolutely want waterjet cutting ? The last flange I made was using a drill press with a holesaw and some filing ontop :D

Yeah, I had a guy offer to do it with a plasma cutter and hours of filing...we'll see how much $$ water-jetting costs.

Island Moose said:
Yeah, I had a guy offer to do it with a plasma cutter and hours of filing...we'll see how much $$ water-jetting costs.

How about a plasma cutter then get a machinist to plane the surface flat and do the edges yourself with a die grinder;)
Maybe the machinist could mill the edges too.

I know that water maching does a neat job though

i got a bunch of 3B-II manifold to 3B turbo plates made up using water jet and i was less than impressed. the material was only 1/2" thick and the finish could have be accomplished easily with a decent plasma cutter for much less....
cheers

talk to www.nwfab.com they are in Combs/Errington and can CNC it for you (what I would do) or may know someone that can watrer jet. I will ask at work to see if anyone knows of a place.

We are only talking about 4 cylinder, you could buy a gasket, trace it onto a piece of steel and clamp it in a drill press. Do a whole bunch of holes all the way around the exhuast oulets, and then spend time with a file. You would be amazed how fast that goes. Also if you have an air compressor(or access) you can buy a die grinder at princess and rotary files. as well rol lok discs to smooth it all out.

Have you seen the kits for building your own manifold. They sell the tubes and tees,elbows etc, line it all up, mark it well. Get it prof welded(tig) and then plane the surfaces smooth.

Its more time than money.

I just built a manifold for a 3b II and cut the whole flange on a band saw. Worked great , just clean up the sides with a sanding pad on a grinder. After you're done all your welding take it to a machine shop and get them to machine the flange flat.
my manifold cost
material 45.
machine work 50.
ceramic coating 100.

you do the same for the turbo flange, making you're own manifold it the way to go. You can position the turbo where it fits best under your hood, ad pyro bung ect. all at a fraction of the cost.
good luck

I just did some asking around and other than Nanaimo Sheetmetal Vancouver is your only option! I would try high def. plasma cutting which alot of places do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom