Water inside cabin / rocker panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys.
So I read a lot of threads about water going in through the seal on the sunroof. My truck is a 93 FZJ80.
Last week I left the truck parked outside for a week, and some heavy rains happen. When I went to get it, the passenger floor was flooded, and when I drove the truck, when braking or accelerating hard, I could hear the water moving. At first, I thought it was the doors filled with water, but later discovered it was the rocker panels, specially de the right hand side one. I removed the 4 plugs on the rocker panel, and lots of water started coming out.
First question. Is this design ok? It seems weird that a plug won't let water OUT.
Second question. On the parts diagram, I can see the 2 drain hoses that ran to the back? but can't seem to find the ones that go to the front. where does the front drain to?
Third question. Maybe the water is coming in from the windshield? It is non OEM, both windshield glass and weatherstrip.

Also, done almost 300 km of dirt roads and noticed the sunroof started rattling. Is this normal? Now it rattles even on paved roads with potholes and deformations.

Kind regards!

The design was intended to allow water to drain from the rocker panels though the small pinched openings in the lower edge. The plugs were to be used for removing water, if the drains were clogged. Use a small zip tie to clear the pinched drains. Metal wires or strips will scratch the paint and lead to rust.

The front drains exit into the pocket behind the plastic footwell panels, on either side of the front floorboard. Remove the plastic covers and pull the wiring harness connectors out of the pockets and you'll see the front drain tubes.

There is no way to know if your windshield is leaking, unless you can see it leaking over the dash, without removing the dash panel. If it has been leaking, the firewall will have rust stains on it.

The sunroof should not rattle.

Last edited:
☝️☝️☝️ - clear, succinct, to the point. Thank you for what you do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom