Water in the doors LX470 (2003) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got stuck in water today and now the following has stopped working;
- Aircon / heating
- outside temperature
- L/100kms
- all radio/CD etc (can't access this on the touch screen to select them - interestingly my aftermarket phone Bluetooth still works)
- Ignition initially clicks like you've got a flat battery, then starts after a 2-3 second delay

Water was fresh and only < ankle deep in the footwell. Water predominantly came in the driver's side front when I opened the door to get out for a tow. Minor water ingress in the passenger front and drivers rear (stuff all in both). Would have been in there 2 mins before being pulled out. Everything else on the car working fine.

Any idea what I should be looking to attempt to dry out / look at? I've dried out the carpet and door sills as much as I can with rags.

Last edited:
Did you check your fuses? The fuse block in the driver's footwell by the kick panel isn't much more than ankle deep. I would also check the ones under your bonnet. Sure seems likely that you blew one.

Following.
I have had intermittent issues with aircon/outside T/ l/100 for the past few months after a few water crossings. Never had water inside the cab.
Occasionally they start to work, most of the time briefly, then stop again, sometimes they keep working for days.

There is a fuse panel in the driver's side (I guess it would be on the passenger side down under). Mine seems fine and as I said, never had water inside.
From what I have found from other posts on the topic, it could also be a bad ground somewhere in the dash...

Well, we finally got home late last night and I've pulled up the carpets this morning to find a sh*t tonne of water and some mild electrolysis / water on certain connections (anyone know what connectors the two grey ones are?).

Unfortunately due to it raining the entire time we were camping, I couldn't do this earlier.

Will give it a good few days to air out, and have also hit it with the electrical contact cleaner to help remove any buildup.

All fuses in both driver and passenger side doors appeared to be in good working order.

20200720_094908.jpg

20200720_095139.jpg

20200720_095305.jpg

20200720_094838.jpg

Last edited:
Did you check your fuses? The fuse block in the driver's footwell by the kick panel isn't much more than ankle deep. I would also check the ones under your bonnet. Sure seems likely that you blew one.

As per above post, all fuses fine on both kick panels. Engine bay fuses all OK too.

Update - ended up pulling up the drivers seat and have found the amp to have also been exposed to water (I initially thought I had avoided water getting in to that area). You could see electrolysis on the pins as well as around the PCBs. The GPS unit (also under the seat) appeared visually OK, but have yanked that out too for further testing. Will report back once I've replaced these and see what functionality has been restored.

Update - ended up pulling up the drivers seat and have found the amp to have also been exposed to water (I initially thought I had avoided water getting in to that area). You could see electrolysis on the pins as well as around the PCBs. The GPS unit (also under the seat) appeared visually OK, but have yanked that out too for further testing. Will report back once I've replaced these and see what functionality has been restored.

You are on track. The advice in this thread is relevant. You are already doing most of it. If not already done, disconnect batteries while drying out panels and circuits.

Last edited:
You are on track. The advice in this thread is relevant. You are already doing most of it. If not already done, disconnect batteries while drying out panels and circuits.

Cheers for the link!

On further inspection, the GPS unit has also unfortunately been cooked. On a positive note though, I have regained all aircon controls as well as having the ability to select media (CD, radio etc.). None work at the moment (due to no amp) but looks like the system as done a reset. External temperature display and l/100km has also started working again. Hopefully, once I get my hands on a new GPS and amp, we'll be back to a complete working system.

Had I had my time again, I'd have yanked these things out earlier which may have saved them. Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom