Water in power steering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I am a newbie to this site and was hoping to get some guidance on my problem. I inherited a 1996 Land cruiser from my mother-in-law and while going through it to do some preventive maintenance I pulled the power steering pump to rebuild it and noticed the milky look of water in the pump. Can this come from a head gasket leak? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like air ingress to the system and possibly someone used power steering fluid instead of auto tranny fluid as required.

Otherwise, no. The pump does not receive any fluids from the engine. It is a sealed system by and large.

Last edited:
Sounds like air ingress into the system and possibly someone used power steering fluid instead of auto tranny fluid as required.

Otherwise, no. The pump does not receive any fluids from the engine. It is a sealed system by and large.

Thanks landlocked 93. That makes me feel a lot better. It has 268000 miles on it but it was owned my my mother in law who never had it off road and kept it serviced. It has not been driven hardly any the past 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom