1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water in Passenger Floorboard

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Ben6, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Ben6

Ben6

Two weeks ago, after having been driving in the rain for several hours I noticed water(soaked) in my passenger floorboard. I had a mechanic check the air conditioning drain to see if it was obstructed and it wasn't. Having read a lot of the post on this forum discussing sunroof leaks, I assumed that might be my problem and left the vehicle in the garage for over a week. I just drove it about thirty minutes and the passenger floorboard is soaked again. It hasn't rained at all today. The water is a little warm (it was warm the first time too). Could the heater be causing this? Anyone have any ideas?

2. Junk

Junk

Ben6, to me it sounds like it could be a few things. Sunroof leak (the water could have been trapped even though the truck was in the garage - like from the previous rain), if it's warm where you are it could be condensate from your ac, or could be from a leak in the windshield (please let us know if it's ever been replaced to your knowledge). Then again, if it was warm, maybe that's cause someone gets nervous when you drive? :D Seriously, I'd hooch it that it's from the sunroof, but give us any more clues you can.

BTW, :flipoff2: welcome to the forum :D.

3. Ben6

Ben6

I bought the cruiser a few weeks ago, so I don't know if the windsheild has ever been replaced. It is however, Toyota glass. All of the glass in the vehicle is Toyota glass except for the front window on the passenger side. That side window has obviosly been replaced, but the door appears to be the original since it has the VIN number and the araco decal in it. All the glass except the passenger window and the windsheild have the VIN numb etched into the glass.

It was relatively cold in Nashville today. It was probably in the mid to high 40's. That is why I thought the heater in the car might have something to do with it. Earlier today I was putting some wool seat covers on and the passenger side floorboard was slightly damp. However, after the 30 minute ride to and from the mall it was soaked.

4. Junk

Junk

OK, well now some things are starting to click. I don't have a 100, so can't help too much, but have you looked under the carpet? In the 80's, there are some plugs that go in under the carpet. If they weren't there, I suppose it's possible that if there was water on the road that it would splash up. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Hopefully someone like Christo, Robbie or some other 100 guys see this and chime in.

5. Ben6

Ben6

Junk, it is an 80 (1997), I bought it used. I'll check the plugs tomorrow, but the road was dry.

6. Beowulf

Beowulf

Ben,
    If the heater was leaking you would know it. The smell of anti-freeze would be overwhelming. Sounds like your drains are clogged. There are a couple of small drains in the rockers. Use a wire tie to clean out the crud.
    -B-

7. Ben6

Ben6

Junk, I think you may have been right. Water must have been trapped from a previous rain. I tried the plugs in the rocker panel and the rockers were dry. However, when I poured a glass of water into the sunroof channel water poured into the floorboard from behind the kickpanel (I actually had it off, but it flowed behind where it would have been). As it turns out there was a small twig and half a dozen leaves that had plugged the right front drain. Once I cleared that I was able to pour glass after glass of water and the water drained out the bottom of the truck rather than into the floorboard. I then closed the sunroof and poured a gallon jug of water on the glass behind the sunroof deflector and nothing leaked into the truck. Hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks for everyones assistance.

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Excelent job Ben!

I believe you have solved your mystery. :D

D-

9. nakman

nakman addict.

Not sure if this is the most appropriate post to resurrect, but damnit Junk I had a revelation today... it rained again here, and I took a little extra time to inspect around the windshield.. lo and behold I've got water dripping in at both bottom corners. Guess that explains the wet floors when it rains, and why my inspection of the sunroof drains and AC deal came up empty.

So I believe you are correct sir, for those of you keeping track that's Junk 3, Mrs. Junk :D

so now I ask, what's the best way to get this windshield resealed? There's not a scratch on it so... is there a magic goo I can get, or do I need to go to a windshield place? enjoy your bye.. ;)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">