Water in Blower Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
**Heavy rain last night, '89 LHD BJ-73** This morning, upon starting up my cruiser, water began to spit out of my blower motor (fan was on low when truck was started). Then, water cascaded onto the passenger floor... a lot. This made for a pretty hectic morning commute!

After searching through this forum, I've learned that a leaky windshield is common, but with this much water (and all of this happening while parked) I'm thinking there is something up with the drainage under the cowl.

Prior to this, I've also noticed that sometimes leaves / debris have shot out of the passenger dash vents! To me, this indicates that there is some sort of breach in the ventilation. Anyone experienced leaks like this before? Any Ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks!

Having been inside the "box" section that the wiper rods are in I would be tempted to say you have way too much accumulated crud in this "box" area. Take the boot cowl off and clean out. Also, at the ends of this "box" section there is a opening for water to run out of but you can't access this with the fenders on.

Here’s a picture of one of the ends of the “box” drain.

8C2496D7-1C50-41E9-A2BE-E74D3F1652C8.jpeg

Mine also leaks so I'll take a peek to see what's up. Thanks for the tip :)

I removed the cowl and found that the area underneath was completely clear and free of clogs. Proceeded by pouring ~ 5 gallons of water over that space, and over the windshield. I could not replicate the leak! Everything drained as designed.

I did notice that the rubber seal under the cowl fastening points had warped and slid out into the engine bay, so I cleaned it up and re-positioned it when I installed the cowl again. Maybe that was the culprit - letting water leak onto the firewall? Unless that was it, this leak remains a mystery.

Next step will be to fold down the windshield and check out its base seal... but that won't be for a while because I'll need to remove to the FRP top (to do it properly)

Last edited:
I have a similar ghost leak most apparent on the right side, though when I start my ac blower it smells like maybe stagnant water.
I too have a clean under-cowl area.
I plan to eventually get at the wiper linkages and see what might be going on in there.

If you've never folded the windscreen down before you may be in for a shock.
I found rust under there.

I have a similar ghost leak most apparent on the right side, though when I start my ac blower it smells like maybe stagnant water.
I too have a clean under-cowl area.
I plan to eventually get at the wiper linkages and see what might be going on in there.

If you've never folded the windscreen down before you may be in for a shock.
I found rust under there.

Yep, I would be surprised if there was NOT rust. Only hoping that the area under the windshield is not totally corroded and exposing the inside of the dash. I will say FWIW that all the water coming out of the blower was crystal clear, not contaminated.

Discovered that water is not getting into the blower motor through the ducts, but rather it is dripping in (from the outside) through the motor's cabin filter. Rain water comes in from above - likely through the windshield frame and then through the dash somehow.

Does anyone know if that filter (imaged below) can be removed / changed? It is in terrible shape. If not, can the entire housing be removed without taking apart the dash?

1593439958542.png

On my truck there is no filter.
Just a foam padded movable baffle for allowing air from outside in or re-circulating it within the cabin.

On my truck there is no filter.
Just a foam padded movable baffle for allowing air from outside in or re-circulating it within the cabin.

Yes, good point, it is more of a foam baffle. But nonetheless it is completely deteriorating and I would like to remove it. Do you know how that's removed?

3 screws and 2 electrical connectors and the blower motor/fan assembly drops.

To access the upper portion, you will need to remove the glove box door, the glove box itself and then access the bolts and nuts to take the upper portion off.

The door is foam covered. You’ll need to R&R that and then reinstall in reverse order.

The factory manual has all of the instructions. You have a manual, correct?
E3EDCCB3-9998-49E4-90CF-6C11DC32DAD7.jpeg
F195618E-4A1E-4464-AFFA-19B6B65FA4A6.jpeg
727C0A93-A18C-4D33-A36C-7EDCA29F437F.jpeg

3 screws and 2 electrical connectors and the blower motor/fan assembly drops.

To access the upper portion, you will need to remove the glove box door, the glove box itself and then access the bolts and nuts to take the upper portion off.

The door is foam covered. You’ll need to R&R that and then reinstall in reverse order.

The factory manual has all of the instructions. You have a manual, correct?
View attachment 2355865View attachment 2355866View attachment 2355867

Thank you Onur!! I have the HD chassis manual in English, and a hard copy of the factory manual in Spanish. No luck with the chassis manual, but I'll check out my owners manual (and practice Spanish) tonight.

The top nut was easy to spot, but not sure where the other screws are. I'll dig around more this week and see what I can find! Once the housing is out I will be able to clean it up much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom