Water/Fuel separator frozen....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I went to start my truck this morning (82 BJ60 3B engine). It was about -4*c overnight so not too cold. I couldn't get the truck to start. It turned over just fine and I ran it just 3 days before.

So, I wondered if it could be water in the separator frozen, stopping fuel from getting through???

This was at 7:45am. At 11:45am the truck fired right up although the only difference was the sun coming out.

So, does it seem probable that this was my problem? I'm going to pull the plug on the separator later today and see what comes out. Hope it fixes it and there's no problems tomorrow.

Last edited:
That doesnt seem cold enough to freeze fuel.

I'm pretty sure the stock water separator is very basic...

dumps fuel in and the water settles to bottom having a higher specific gravity then it sucks the fuel off the top allowing you to drain the water from the bottom periodically.

So I'd say even if the water did freeze you should just have a bit of ice at the bottom not really affecting anything... or at least that's how it it'd work out in my mind...

Toshi38 said:
I'm pretty sure the stock water separator is very basic...

dumps fuel in and the water settles to bottom having a higher specific gravity then it sucks the fuel off the top allowing you to drain the water from the bottom periodically.

So I'd say even if the water did freeze you should just have a bit of ice at the bottom not really affecting anything... or at least that's how it it'd work out in my mind...

Soooo, what if the separator is very full of water? I have no idea when it was last checked...

It shouldn't be full otherwise you would have been introducing water to the engine before. How well is your glow system functioning?

Have you tried cycling the key? Sometimes when the super glow computer goes into limp mode which the majority of them now probably are, you stop getting enough glow to start in super cold conditions... cycle the key 3 times and try...

If that fails any you're getting a strong crank... you either have water in the system or air... Try purging the lines with the bleeder cracked up by the filter if you get straight clean fuel there, close that bleeder and crack the one on the injection pump, prime... Then re try starting... If you're getting bubbles, you have an air leak either from a line somewhere or possibly the tank pickup or possibly your old rusty FWS!!!

I'm somewhat of an expert on this now as I have had no start from just about every scenario possible now... Knock on wood...

Air in fuel, bad super glow computer, bad glow blugs, worn out batteries, stuck starter, pin holes in bottom of factory FWS...

All of them have there work arounds other then air in the lines which is typically caused by a leak that must be addressed ... Let us know how it goes!

Don't even touch the fuel until you're sure you're getting enough glow!

I have a wilson switch and have good glow.
Air in the system wouldn't cause no starting in the morning then start 4 hours later with no issues would it?
Maybe there is water in my system but I have no idea how to check it or get rid of it. I've always had tough starts in the mornings with lots of smoke, summer or winter. I do have one cylinder at 375 compression which I've always accounted the smoke for.

I opened the separator plug and let about 1/4 liter of fluid out, smelled mostly of diesel but didn't have the same viscosity as diesel alone. Should the separator be full? I don't know how it works...

Normally there is a drain at the bottom of your fuel filter housing. Otherwise remove the unit and visually check for water by dumping the contents in to a clear jar...water will show up on the bottom with fuel floating on top.

Rod, the fuel separator should always be full (of fuel that is). Is this the stock one on the frame rail? It's pretty simple, water is heavier than diesel, so it stays at the bottom, open the drain every 6 months or so to be sure there isn't any water in it. I can't recall how the '83 BJ60 warns of water in the fuel; but if that warning light came on, then likely your separator had water in it.

Even at -4, it wouldn't thaw during the day we had anyway, being out of the sun like that hidden under the truck IMHO. I'd be very surprised if your separator was the culprit.

If you have a Wilson switch, do you have the manual glow plugs (i.e. your superglow isn't there anymore?). I would try a longer glow cycle if that is possible. On my manual glow switch in my '81, I glow for a good 20 seconds at freezing temps and then keep the glow on for the first few seconds after the engine starts to smooth the engine idle out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.

Greg, I don't think it's the fuel filter otherwise I doubt it would have thawed out by 11:45....but maybe? I changed the fuel filter in summer, I have less than 5000 km since then.

Rob, yes, supper glow is gone. I glow for a good 30 seconds before I fire up. Maybe I'm not getting enough juice to the plugs.....I always have rough starts, even in summer...

.....I always have rough starts, even in summer...

Here is the problem. you should not have rough starts in the summer.

My HJ fired immediately this morning, just like always and there was no stumble while idling, just like always.

Your issue is glow, IMO.

I totally think you're right Kim. I've been doing some reading on wilson switches and I think something is not right with mine. I had a buddy wire it up and he knows what he's doing but maybe we got something wrong.....I don't know if it was hooked up to any of the relay's or solenoids, so I'll have to check it all out in the morning when it's light.

OK, so I took a look over my glow system. It's direct glow from battery to button to plugs. I took the button out of the dash and noticed that I had to push it in just a but further than when the rubber cover was on it, in the dash.

Needless to say, I'm embarrased to think that I've had a couple of years of hard starts just because I wasn't pushing the button in hard enough.....

This mornings start was effortless for the truck. Fired right up, no burping, farting, smoking (other than normal cold weather exhaust) or shaking at all, just a nice smooth start up.....sigh...:eek:

Good to hear, Rod! No need for embarrassment. This is just some of the fun we get to have as we discover and learn about our trucks. :)

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom