Water Fording? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced the aged F engine in my '74 FJ-40 for a newer 2F from an 80's FJ-60. My old cooling fan from the F engine was an inch or so smaller than the fan on the newer 2f. Also, the 2F has a thermostat controlled fan. Due the the lager size fan, I decided to leave the fan shroud off, in favor of the larger thermostat controlled fan. I figured I could find a larger shroud later to accomodate the fan.

OK

While fording a shallow river this afternoon, the fan propelled itself against the water into the radiator, causing a major repair. There is some damage to the tips of the fan's blades. It looks like the blades flexed into the radiator. I never had problems with this earlier in this river using the smaller fan.
What steps could I take to ensure this doesn't happen again?
1. Whould having a shroud in place, keep some water from the fan?
2. Would the smaller fan that turns all the time make a difference?

TIA
Douglas

'74FJ-40
2F
Front Discs Brakes

F engine has a metal fan......little to no flex.
2F engine.....plastic fan....lots o' flex.......

shroud shouldn't matter. I don't think. But, it will not cool as well without a fan shroud. To stop this from happening again, you can remove the fan belt before fording and replace it immeditly after the water crossing or ditch the fan completly and replace it with an electric fan and wire it into a switch. Turn off when you enter water and turn on after water.....

Chris

BigRedFJ40 said:
F engine has a metal fan......little to no flex.
2F engine.....plastic fan....lots o' flex.......

shroud shouldn't matter. I don't think. But, it will not cool as well without a fan shroud. To stop this from happening again, you can remove the fan belt before fording and replace it immeditly after the water crossing or ditch the fan completly and replace it with an electric fan and wire it into a switch. Turn off when you enter water and turn on after water.....

Chris

you just have to make sure your route the power threw your ignition first. Or else you could leave the fan on while the cruiser isn't running and have a dead battery.

Man I hate doing a push start. :doh:

Fan clutch should have slipped enough so that the fan wasn't spinning enough for it to flex into the radiator.

I would check out your fan clutch, and next time let the engine cool so the fan clutch is not engaged when crossing the stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom