Water dripping... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am not very savvy when it comes to navigating this forum, unfortunately. I have attempted to research this on the page before posting but I was unable to find anything that relates to my issue.
I just purchased my stock 97 LX450. On the drive home Wednesday (2 days ago) I run the AC and the condensation puddle looked a little larger than I thought it should but didn't think much of it. The AC works great. Thursday (yesterday) I drove the car in the morning/early afternoon so it has been sitting for nearly 24 hours undisturbed/ not turned on. I just walked out there and there is what seems to be water dripping underneath the passenger side, similar to where the ac condensation would drip but the truck hasn't been turned on. Zero rain for the last couple of weeks in the area so I am unsure where this water could be coming from and whether or not I should be concerned.
Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

It's fine, as long as it's water. It's condensation from the evaporator. Probably not a bad idea to clean the drain tube out (it passes from the unit on the interior side of the firewall into the engine compartment), as well as cleaning the pan itself. The details are in the A/C repair manual, in the Resources section.

It's fine, as long as it's water. It's condensation from the evaporator. Probably not a bad idea to clean the drain tube out (it passes from the unit on the interior side of the firewall into the engine compartment), as well as cleaning the pan itself. The details are in the A/C repair manual, in the Resources section.
Awesome, thank you for the reassurance, I'll plan on cleaning out the drain tube for sure!

Good to know it's not something wrong with the truck haha. I hadn't realized they could pull condensation while just sitting but I'm glad it's one less thing I have to worry about/fix. Thanks for the input!

Condensation happens when the air is cooled. The water drains out of the pan, as fast as the drain tube allows it, so if it's warm inside the cabin, water will continue to condense on the evaporator, even after you turn off the engine.

Check your coolant level. If it's down a little, chances are it could be the rear heater lines. Common issue with the age of our rigs. They're on the passenger side. Heater is under "shotgun's" seat. If you're running A/C this time of year, PO might have just put water in the cooling system and that would be a concern, also.

Check your coolant level. If it's down a little, chances are it could be the rear heater lines. Common issue with the age of our rigs. They're on the passenger side. Heater is under "shotgun's" seat. If you're running A/C this time of year, PO might have just put water in the cooling system and that would be a concern, also.
Thank you for the suggestion! The coolant level seems to be good both in the rad and reservoir. I believe Malleus was correct with his theory on it being the evaporator, as when I looked in the engine bay where he mentioned, I saw the tube, and it too, had droplets of water that lined up with the path from the drain tube to some shielding and down to the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom