Water/dampness under driver's side floor mat - diagnosis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to confirm if the windshield is leaking on its edges?

Based on numerous threads out here, the windshield gasket leak is the most likely culprit for the dampness or water collecting in my drivers side floor board. The gasket was replaced 6 months ago when the rig was completely repainted. The water is not bad, but definitely comes where there is rain.

Is there a possibility that not seam sealing a door hinge when it was reinstalled could cause it?

No water is getting in any other three floor board areas. All thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated!

-ibis1969

The vertical seam seal that runs up the body behind the front fender is also a culprit with water intrusion in the foot wells.

I had a similar issue on my FJ62. It turned out to be the rain gutter that was leaking though, I was sue it was going to be the windshield. To isolate the leak I used a garden hose (without any attachment on it) to systematically run water over areas of the car until it started to leak. It took me about 30 minutes and I found the spot.

Had this issue earlier this year. I have rubber floor mats, and every time I would lift them up it was always a little damp underneath. I thought it was rain water getting in because there was no smell. About 2 months after I noticed it, my clutch had no pressure. Turns out I was leaking a little bit of clutch fluid from the master cylinder.

My son's 88 '62 has water leaking into both driver and passenger foot wells. Seems to be pretty bad and I believe he said he could see it dripping down from under the dash somewhere. When the weather is a little warmer we'll use a garden hose method and find out where the source of the leak is.

From this thread some possible culprits include the following so we'll look at these first. As the truck doesn't have a sunroof we can rule that out at least.

Windshield gasket
Rain gutter
Vertical seam behind the fenders

Wish us luck and thanks to those who have contributed to this thread, glad I found it and didn't start a new one:)

I had a combo deal on my 60, rotted out body mount kicking water up from under the car and leaking/rusty A pillar/windshield

Also make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are not blocked. You'd be surprised how much crap accumulates down there.

Also make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are not blocked. You'd be surprised how much crap accumulates down there.
Was going to say that too. I happened to to think of it and swung the drivers side door back and forth (passenger was a PO culprit to some sort of filler) and could hear water sloshing.... stuck a length of wire in both drain holes and out came two gross algae plugs and then a steady stream for a almost a min.

Another possibility: the hood seal on the cowl of my FJ62 let water run down the firewall behind the brake booster and got into the footwell.

Mine turned out to be a combination of the rain gutter and windshield gasket.

Last edited:
Water runs down the rain gutter and dumps down into the door gap where the hinges are... It's supposed to kept out of the interior by the door seal, but if the seal is bad or cracked or chooched in any way around there, it'll ingress the foot well.

This is my problem but I've yet to replace the seal.... Couple this with plugged weep holes in the door and if you're in an area that experiences a lot of rain (I'm in dry So. Cal) it gets to be a rust issue in training...

I had the wet carpet under the driver's mat only. I figured out my problem. There is a passage through the firewall behind the carb fan below and to the side of the brake booster. This passage has a ton of wires going through. A lot of my wires are PO crap. The rubber grommet is completely butchered. What happened with mine is that rain would seep down between the hood and cowl and follow the ledge on the back of the engine bay and drip onto the wires going through the passage through the firewall. A couple of the wires were at an angle going downhill from front to back so as water dripped onto them it followed the wires through the firewall and dripped on the floor below the dash. I sealed the hole with some pliable duct sealant from the hardware store. No more leak!

i'm in diagnosis mode on this too, given the CA rain this season. With the sun out today, I used the garden hose on various spots and inspected interior. One big culprit seems to be the hood vents by the wipers. On passenger side, water runs through the slots and I see pretty significant leaking from the top of the passenger firewall by the heater unit. Way up high behind it. How in the world do you fix this?

If it's not an opening/rust under the windshield, you can access the cowl space from the engine bay by removing the two covers. Clean out the area (much much easier with the fenders removed as it's going to be stuffed with leave 'n s***) and then seal with 3M Urethane seam sealer or such.

If it's not an opening/rust under the windshield, you can access the cowl space from the engine bay by removing the two covers. Clean out the area (much much easier with the fenders removed as it's going to be stuffed with leave 'n s***) and then seal with 3M Urethane seam sealer or such.
Yeah, I did the driver side port, the middle bay port, and even pulled the psgr side cover w/ the 12v motor assembly- wiggled it aside and pulled as much gunk as I could. Goes way further back than I thought. Good place to smuggle... oh nevermind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom