Water crossings + 1000 miles... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

surfpig

The Anti-Tech
Threads
Kind of a question, though I probably know the answer...

We did a lengthy road/offroad trip recently (I won't use the word "overlanding" ... ) and did some water crossings early on in the journey. Is there some point where any water sucked into the differentials get boiled off? Or is it permanently fouled up? Front axle seals are a bit long in the tooth... I rebuilt the rear axle somewhat recently, not too worried about it. I know it's just cheap insurance to replace the oil, but does the water, if there is any, typically vent out the breather over time? Especially with a lengthy road trip.

:hmm:

It may, but not necessarily before it chews up your diffs. Water and oil do not make a good lubricant.

A big no as well...it won't dissipate or boil off

I’d imagine if it gets hot enough to boil off, then water contamination is the least of your worries.

Kind of what I expected. Usually these are not such long road trips. I’ll just replace...

Once water is in the diff, if the diff is moving the oil/water gets mixed and emulsified. It will not cook out or be eliminated in any way... except.. If you let it sit long enough in extreme cold, sub zero preferable, the water will separate from the oil as it freezes. Then if it is allowed to thaw undisturbed, you can drain the water and leave the oil in place. I used to save good gear lube that had been water contaminated/emulsified and let it sit outside over the winter. Come spring, separate it and salvage the oil. I used to have a LOT of water contaminated gear lube to deal with.

Mark...

Once water is in the diff, if the diff is moving the oil/water gets mixed and emulsified. It will not cook out or be eliminated in any way... except..
Mark...

^^^^^

This.

Drain and refill. Make sure you can get the 'fill' plug out of the diff housing before draining.

Dang, @surfpig , I thought you knew this is why to always run cheap gear oil. So you're not afraid to change it. The 5 gallon GL-5 pails at AutoZone or WalMart are perfect for Land Cruisers. Any hint of water, and change your gear oil. I change any off road trip with a water crossing. Cheap gear oil rules. I've recently favored the Chevron lubes you can get at AutoZone, they are just slightly more money, but the generic pails are good too. Change is good. But anyone running boutique gear oil in a Land Cruiser differential is not thinking clearly. You know who you are...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom