Washer Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this may sound silly, but has anyone experienced a dealer, in the south/southwest or otherwise, just using water and not real washer fluid? I flew to Vegas this weekend to pick up a CPO 2018 LX with 23,000 miles. Drove it back to Wyoming and was in a blizzard with obvious sub zero temperatures for about 6 hours and no washer fluid coming out, front or rear.

They knew I was coming in and they knew I would be driving it back to Wyoming immediately.

If anything had been damaged and it was found out that using water was the culprit, would that void the warranty for replacing the damaged items?

I already emailed them and let them know how pissed I am and they are trying to make it right. Going to call this morning and have a little discussion with them as well. Hopefully they will change their practices after I am done with them.

Luckily I didn't need the washer fluid, but if I had and was seriously injured or died, my family would own that dealership right now. I thawed everything out in the garage last night and it is working this morning and I will flush all the water out and replace with sub zero fluid.

Makes me wonder if they are too cheap to use real washer fluid, what other shortcuts do they do?

Other than that, I couldn't be happier with the LX. It is so much more than just a nicer LC. I could drive it all day and night. The wife doesn't want anything to do with that "trashy old Land Cruiser" now. Time for some goodies for it then!

I try not to be cynical about dealers (really!), but sometimes they make it easy to remain so. Plain water in the washer.......stupid. Check for leaks by letting it sit in the warm garage for a while and running all washers to pressurize the system. Check the headlight washers too. Freezing damage would not be covered under warranty. It’s sure good you didn’t need the washers. And yes, what other shortcuts/cheap things did they do?

You're certain it's straight water and not perhaps just a watered down solution?

I certainly understand the displeasure with the dealership but it is a used car. A previous owner in the Vegas area might be totally down to topping off reservoir with water if they live in the city. Likewise, the dealership, short of topping it off, isn't likely to put much thought into the fluid's ability to withstand freezing temps. So the dealer could have topped off with a legit solution and what you have is something that can only withstand barely sub-freezing temps.

I live in the south and I know I can pickup washer fluid that's only good to 0 degrees (most are rated -25 but the super cheap stuff can be 0). So by the time you start to mix that with water, it doesn't take much to get it to freeze once it's in the lines or nozzles. But to answer your question, I'm not aware of any actual shop that's topping off with 100% water. If nothing else they are using water + a de-icing concentrate so it looks blue and has some level of freezing protection.

Last edited:
They admitted to using water in everything that comes through.

You're assuming the dealer actually put that fluid in the system. Maybe it was full when they were giving it the CPO check, and left it be?

Several years ago I bought an ES from Texas on eBay, had it shipped. First hard freeze, yup no washers would work. Tank was full of blue slush. Parked it in a warm shop for the afternoon, sucked it all out with a turkey baster, then flushed new fluid through. It was fine, as yours will be.

Most of what you can find around here is only good to 20F, so it depends on the region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom