Was the original FJ80 tire size 235/75R15 or 31x10.5R15? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm wondering if the FJ80 came with 235/75R15 or 31x10.5R15 tires from the factory. The FSM and owner's manual seems to indicate it could've come with either. My door says 235/75R15.

I'm guessing the gearing was the same for both?

Judging by the speedometer, but does seem like the speedometer was probably set for 235/75R15 and not 31x10.5R15.

I've asked before about FJ80 vs FZJ80 crawl speed, and the smaller tires would indicate that from the factory, the FJ80 actually did have a lower crawl speed. Minor and silly nit, of course.

I always assumed the FJ80 came with 31" tires, but I was surprised to see 235/75R15 mentioned so prevalently. I wonder if it was an option from the dealer.

Appreciate any insights you all can offer. Thank you!

They came with one or the other. My 91 came with 31s. Not sure if it's a dealer upgrade or why the difference.

They came with one or the other. My 91 came with 31s. Not sure if it's a dealer upgrade or why the difference.

Interesting! Thank you. Does yours say 31x10.5R15 in the door sticker?

I'm not sure. I purchased from the original owner who kept everything 100% stock. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Both. 31s were optional. See specs from the 1991 LC brochure

57EBD1A1-E37A-4FF8-92B4-B929866160A4.jpeg

DCE466EA-7928-4552-A43A-5E2696DB85F7.jpeg

31x10.50R15 tires were part of the "towing" option in 1991. It included fiberglass fender flairs, aluminum rims, and transmission cooler.
Back then it was all a-la-carte.
I've never seen an 80 without flares (unless they were removed by the owner), was that an option in the US? Never seen steel wheels here either, at least not on an unmolested 80, maybe the 'towing package' was standard here, like electric windows and many other 'upgrades'?

Optional yes, just like the sunroof, 9 speaker CD system,cruise control and electric windows. That being said, dealers ordered the vast majority of these truck fully loaded.

Optional yes, just like the sunroof, 9 speaker CD system,cruise control and electric windows. That being said, dealers ordered the vast majority of these truck fully loaded.
Depended on the year purchased. I bought mine in May of 1991 from a dealer. I had to go over a checklist of items, and it was a special order because I wanted everything. I had to wait a good 3 months for delivery because the majority were being shipped out to the Gulf war.
After that time, dealer inventory loosened up and most came loaded. But in 91, no dealers had stock and each order was custom.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thank you!

Mine doesn't have a receiver hitch, but does have the aluminium wheels. I'm leaning towards using the bumper attachment for some degree of towing.

I also haven't seen many FJ80s, if any, with steel wheels from the factory.

Depended on the year purchased. I bought mine in May of 1991 from a dealer. I had to go over a checklist of items, and it was a special order because I wanted everything. I had to wait a good 3 months for delivery because the majority were being shipped out to the Gulf war.
After that time, dealer inventory loosened up and most came loaded. But in 91, no dealers had stock and each order was custom.
Yes. Back then these things were hard to come by. Waitlist for us back in 1991 ,Colorado Springs,CO. We ended up driving to Pueblo CO because the dealer there was allocated one and not spoken for. White and fully loaded. Drove that for 3 years and traded for a new 1993. By 1993 there were many more to pick from but they didn’t stay long on dealer lots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom