Was running and now it’s not! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders! This site has been incredible, thanks to you all that help with these cruiser issues!
I have been running thru all the threads to find out why I can get the FJ62 to kick over. It will start with starter fluid but it won’t run. New fuel filter didn’t help so I followed the instructions on the thread that directed you to use a paper clip. I got nothing on the fuel pump. I pulled the carpet and crawled under the rear of the vehicle and it’s got a new tank and brand new fuel level sending unit. I can’t imagine the previous owner didn’t install a new fuel pump, right? Anyway is it the fuel pump for sure? Thanks for the help!

Hey mudders! This site has been incredible, thanks to you all that help with these cruiser issues!
I have been running thru all the threads to find out why I can get the FJ62 to kick over. It will start with starter fluid but it won’t run. New fuel filter didn’t help so I followed the instructions on the thread that directed you to use a paper clip. I got nothing on the fuel pump. I pulled the carpet and crawled under the rear of the vehicle and it’s got a new tank and brand new fuel level sending unit. I can’t imagine the previous owner didn’t install a new fuel pump, right? Anyway is it the fuel pump for sure? Thanks for the help!
Open the trap door in the bed, use a test light to make sure it's getting 12 volts. If it does, then it's the pump.

Open the trap door in the bed, use a test light to make sure it's getting 12 volts. If it does, then it's the pump.
I’m sorry but the only trap door I see in the cargo area of my FJ62 is the one for the fuel gauge sending unit. Is there something I’m missing?
Thanks

I’m sorry but the only trap door I see in the cargo area of my FJ62 is the one for the fuel gauge sending unit. Is there something I’m missing?
Thanks
You are right, I have a 60. I put in my own trap door in when I put a 62 Long Range tank in. I assumed Toyota would have added that when they changed to EFI.
You will have to drop the tank. Maybe just part way to test?

Thanks
Are you talking about the side panels on the drivers rear? If so I see a lot of wiring and relays. I have no wiring schematic and I am not sure I could find the wires in the wire blocks that go to the fuel pump. Any help on which block and which wires within the block?

Are you talking about the side panels on the drivers rear? If so I see a lot of wiring and relays. I have no wiring schematic and I am not sure I could find the wires in the wire blocks that go to the fuel pump. Any help on which block and which wires within the block?

no he was thinking about the FJ60 which ironically has access to the tank. Why Toyota got rid of a fuel pump access port on the fj62..I don’t know.

I don't know. Someone here will.
I ran my FP wires through DS kick panel to DS cargo panel following the wires for the sending unit when I installed the Sniper. Likely, Toyota did too. Now you got to find which wire is the fuel pump. It likely is a bad pump. Consider installing a trap door for the next time. I think Cam at Mosely Motors sold me mine.
Sorry I'm not much help.

In my parts 62 it looks like the connector for the fuel pump may be reachable through the hatch for the sending unit. But my parts truck has had who knows what done to it so maybe that’s not normal. Worth a look

the access door in the cargo area is for the fuel sending unit, it also accesses the plug for the fuel pump which is changed either by dropping the tank or cut a big hole in the floor of the cargo area.
I drop the tank myself.
there is a connector below the jack mount in the driver rear quarter panel, it can get corroded.
you can run a jump lead from a 12V source to the connector by the fuel level sending unit and see if the pump will run

the access door in the cargo area is for the fuel sending unit, it also accesses the plug for the fuel pump which is changed either by dropping the tank or cut a big hole in the floor of the cargo area.
I drop the tank myself.
there is a connector below the jack mount in the driver rear quarter panel, it can get corroded.
you can run a jump lead from a 12V source to the connector by the fuel level sending unit and see if the pump will run
Thank you 3_Puppies! I will get a coat hanger and fish that connector. I only saw the connector for the sending unit. I will did deeper to fish the fuel pump plug out……

Thank you 3_Puppies! I will get a coat hanger and fish that connector. I only saw the connector for the sending unit. I will did deeper to fish the fuel pump plug out……

it should be right there, it is a 4 wire harness coming up from the quarter panel, 2 wires for the sending unit and 2 wires for the fuel pump
I've jumped them there and found out I had a bad pump on 1 rig and the pump was good on another then back traced the harness and found the corroded connector in the quarter panel.

Alright! Making some progress! I went into the drivers side rear wheel well and took out the jack storage platform. I found the wire harness that came from the sending unit and the fuel pump. I unplugged the connector block and ran a hot and ground direct from the battery. The pump is fine! I’m glad I didn’t drop the tank to find that out…..
SO… I’ve replaced the filter, determined the pump is good, what is the next most likely issue?
Again thanks to all mudders for their support! I don’t think I would be this far without the input from you guys!
Zog

if you used the paper clip in the diagnostic port under the hood and the fuel pump didn't run, you are not getting power from there to the pump.
usually the connector under the jack is corroded and needs cleaned or spliced together.
the paper clip bypasses everything, I think.
try the paper clip again and see if you have power to the connector/plug in the quarter panel.

if you used the paper clip in the diagnostic port under the hood and the fuel pump didn't run, you are not getting power from there to the pump.
usually the connector under the jack is corroded and needs cleaned or spliced together.
the paper clip bypasses everything, I think.
try the paper clip again and see if you have power to the connector/plug in the quarter panel.
Good morning mudders!
Thank you 3_puppies for your response and help! I will hit the paper clip test again, but want to report this FJ62 was purchased and lived it’s entire life in the Phoenix area, so there is 0% rust or corrosion. When I jumped the fuel pump at the wire block in the wheel well it looked like it was in new condition. Being in AZ there is more potential for dry rot. Anyway, I’ll hit the paper clip again!

Alright! I went back to the test block on the firewall and jumped Fp to B+ with the paper clip.
Went to the drivers seat and turned the key to try and start truck. Turned the starter over three four times it did not start. I left the key on and crawled under the rear of the truck. The fuel pump was not running! Is there a relay the could be bad? Is there a sensor that will turn the fuel pump off? The wiring harness that is in the DS rear fender runs straight along the foot well to the DS foot panel, are there relays or fusible links in the DS kick panel?

there is a fuel pump relay, but I thought by using the paperclip it bypassed the relay.

Alright, now that we have determined there is no power to the fuel pump wire block in the DS rear wheel I’m going to trace the wiring harness to the DS footwell. We installed new carpeting maybe there was a wire that was pinched…… it’s a start. Also did someone say there is a relay in the footwell?
Thanks again mudders…. I feel like I’m making headway!

Alright, now that we have determined there is no power to the fuel pump wire block in the DS rear wheel I’m going to trace the wiring harness to the DS footwell. We installed new carpeting maybe there was a wire that was pinched…… it’s a start. Also did someone say there is a relay in the footwell?
Thanks again mudders…. I feel like I’m making headway!
Alright guys, I had to take a few days off but I'm hard at it trying to chase a “no power” situation to the plug in the DS rear wheel well of the truck. I’ve pulled all the carpet trim off where we installed new backing and carpet. There are NO signs of pinched wires. The black plastic wire casing looks perfect and the wires look brand new… not even dusty. I’m looking up under the footwell and see a bunch of relays. Any chance one of the relays has gone bad and I’m not sending power to the wire block in the back?

Alright guys, I had to take a few days off but I'm hard at it trying to chase a “no power” situation to the plug in the DS rear wheel well of the truck. I’ve pulled all the carpet trim off where we installed new backing and carpet. There are NO signs of pinched wires. The black plastic wire casing looks perfect and the wires look brand new… not even dusty. I’m looking up under the footwell and see a bunch of relays. Any chance one of the relays has gone bad and I’m not sending power to the wire block in the back?
HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom