Was:... more power from the 2F...Now: TBI bashing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On that earlier thread that kinda got nasty, several people chimed in to bash the GM TBI set-up. Just curious what would have brought you guys to that conclusion.

I could have chosen any motor configuration I wanted but settled on the TBI because it was simpler, easy to diagnose and fix in the field, and maybe a little less delicate than the later MPI set-ups. I thought it was actually an elegant compromise between the simplicity of the carb and the "let the computer figure it out" drivability of full-blown MPI.

So you TBI-haters, why the disdain?

I personally think that the TBI setup is just a seguay to the MPI systems that came not too soon after. In my personal experience, the TBI is just not that cool. Then again, my experience is limited to the TBI350 on my uncle's old suburban.

If you love it, then I am happy for you. The only reason I was bashing the TBI is because I don't like it. Have fun with yours!

:beer:

My PO did a TBI conversion 10 years ago (90 chebby, no smog pump) and wired a check engine light to the dash. It has 150k on the motor and can still outrun a fresh 2F. It started running rough; checked the code with a 30 dollar code reader from Autozone; Throttle Position Sensor; went to Autozone, got one, replaced it; runs great again. Not a lot to go wrong on them; when something minor like a sensor goes out the computer goes into default mode and it runs just rough and inefficiently. Would get you off the trail, though.

Maybe you can make a convert out of me yet.

How awesome is the performance increase?

Fuel mileage?

:beer:

Mileage depends on how you drive.
Performance can be a hearty increase..

The TBI chevy motor is a respectable motor in stock condition and has phenomenal hop up potential.

TBI is not as efficient as MPI but honestly, it is super easy to trouble shoot and a dam good compromise.

Holley FI (open loop) is a headache and NOT a good subsitution for TBI.

Diagnosing the fuel flow is as easy as looking. It's simple, compact and easily tuneable, but rarely needs to be. It'll run upside down. And better than a I-6 fuel distribution, although still not as good as a ported motor.

Cheap. Cheap parts. Cheap for whole vehicles. cheap for aftermarket. You can find 'em on eBay every day of the week. Easy to wire, especially out of a van. Bonus, you get a serpertine system for free.

Cold starts is greatly improved. More importantly, better fuel delivery during cold starts and acceleration means less fuel in the oil and less carbon build up, so the motor lasts longer than a carb as well. No q-jet throttle lag either.

Forgot - return fuel system means less hot start problems, athough you have to deal with the fuel pump issues. I prefer to keep them in the tank like God intended.

This was just eatin at you huh Greg :flipoff2:

:D

Mace said:
This was just eatin at you huh Greg
Not really, but I just didn't get some of the negative comments. TBI clearly lacks the bling when you open the hood as compared to LT1, Vortec, etc. But I couldn't figure out why someone would specifically dislike it, over a carb for instance. To me, simpler, cheaper, more reliable are good things.

You are absolutely correct. TBI is better than a carb and simple is a good thing. Which is whyI went propane in my rock rig..

But Bling is cool too ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom