Warranty Work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my 97 with 55k miles on it, I went ahead and bought an extended warranty for an additional $500. Well I'm now at 93k miles, and hoping that anything that can go wrong will go wrong before the warranty runs out at 100k. This warranty covers everything in the drivetrain, tranny, engine, and electronics. I haven't done my front axle service, do you guys think the warranty would cover it? Anything else I might be able to slip by?

It might if your axle seals started leaking...

::)

Front axle service is maintenance dude. No cover. :flipoff2:

Didn't pay for the warranty here, but got mine as a certified used beater and that's saved my fat butt numerous times ... 2 engines, 1 trans, 1 driveshaft, 1 birfied and inner axle, ac issues etc. Of course most was borderline coverage at best, but my dealer pushed it through for me since I'm a good guy. :flipoff2:

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=5117;start=msg39488#msg39488 date=1063138650]
It might if your axle seals started leaking...[/quote]
more likely they'd say you should have had that done at 60k so now you are :flipoff2:ed :flipoff2:

It's not that tough to do on your own if you don't mind getting dirty... :D

Rogue - LOVE the avatar!

I've never torn into an axle before so I'm a bit hesitant to do so - think it's something a first timer can handle? How long would it take?

I'd hate to tear the sucker down, only to realize that I'm in over my head and have to have it towed to the dealership with my tail between my legs...

"Um, yeah, could you please fix this?" :D

I like the newer version, but will likely go back to the still shot after I get bored watching those two kiss.

bderks,

If you purchased gasket and seal coverage it would probably cover leaking inner axle seals for the term of the contract. Get the contract out and read the fine print. 500 bucks may not have been enough to buy that coverage. Check and see, it can't hurt.

Dan.

Good call Dan, I just got home and read the fine print - seal and gasket coverage was an option, but I did not receive it with this warranty.

Looks like the LC is just too well built and the warranty was just a waste of money. Now the tranny will probably drop at 101k... :D

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=5117;start=msg39494#msg39494 date=1063139346]
Nice Avatar Rogue... Now get thee to the temple and do some repenting!

-H- :)
[/quote]

Oh, and repenting must be done pre-temple. :D

after I get bored watching those two kiss

how could THAT ever get boring ;)

doug

Maybe I'm blind, but I just checked my owner's manual ('97 CE), and nowhere is it mentioned that the front axle has to be serviced at any interval--no wording in that manual can be construed as to mean "do all that stuff at 60K". They talk about all sorts of stuff like battery levels and flux capacitors, but no front axle. Maybe it's in the BGB (I didn't look), but the average owner doesn't get this. If it had not been for the constant discourse on this board, I likely would never have known this needs to be done.

So what am I missing that others seem to have?

Tom

Tom,

IIRC the 97 owners manual does not post service schedules, those are in a separate booklet. Anyway, strictly speeking, knuckle work is considered by Mr T to be "as needed" as opposed to "maintainence". Common experience shows us that anything greater than about 60k miles on the full time front axle, without doing something with it, is a gift.

Of course, my opinion only.

Dan.

When I first got my 80 I took it in under extended warranty to get the lockers fixed. The head tech was the only one that knew enough about LCs to look at it, so I had to wait until he was free. An hour later he came back and told me the locker ECU was bad. $300 or so plus labor plus $65 diagnostic. No warranty as it was an electrical part. I went back to my shop, looked online for common problems, found the locker clean out procedure and fixed my own MECHANICAL problem. Then I had to go back and get all Junk on 'em to get my $65 back. :mad:

Warranties suck.

Todd,

That's the rip, They aren't warranties in the truest sense. They are "service contracts" or insurance policies. As such, you can imagine that they are carefully drafted to cover "everything except anything". They are, just as any insurance is, a numbers game. You place your bet that you will break a "covered" item and they bet you don't. The odds are with the "house". Guess who the "house" is.

My extended warranty covered me from A-Z as far as the front axle work, over $3,000 in total repairs, I actually have a brand new front axles except the housing, all was covered by extended warranty, the one I have purchased it cost me around a $1,000, and it covered everything including lockers, the only thing/s it did not cover are the shocks.

I think it depends on the type of warranty as well as how much do you pay into it in order to get an adequate coverage.

Hope this helps

Here ya go Rogue - seems as though yours' has vanished. :flipoff2:
{muchos editos}
Thread content? I think more than the money you are paying, it depends on the guys doing the work and whether they want to work with ya or not.

Junk,

That first one shows a little bit too much skin for this little Mormon boy. Thanks though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom