warranty on a Toyota part installed on a Lexus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Western NC- Hour North of Asheville on the BRP
I think I have seen this brought up on a past thread but I am so amazed that I had to put this out there again.

I tried to buy a new radiator today for my '05 Lx from a Toyota dealer and I was told that even though they may have the same part number that if I bought it from them then they could not warranty it if it was defective. Unfortunately, the Lexus dealer wants much more money for the same part number radiator.

They say that they do not have a Lexus parts book to confirm so no joy with them. I even pulled up a screenshot of the same radiator on a Lexus dealership.

How can this be true---

Tell them it's going into a Toyota. ;)

There's no coverage on the labor so if you're doing the labor, you're on the hook for install/removal. They will never see the vehicle.

Look up an 05 Land Cruiser on Carfax, give them that VIN. Done.

It's a silly administrative technicality. Roll with it and give them what they want - an 05 LC VIN.

It's a blanket statement. From a business standpoint, I agree with them. But what @suprarx7nut is key. I buy most of my parts from my local dealer (I have an acct there) and I always give them the part number, not the VIN.

I made the mistake of giving them my VIN because they insisted. Now I know better.
Thankfully this radiator is actually for your other car. You were confused and grabbed the wrong vin.

so i just ran into this problem this morning when trying to buy a battery for my 2018 LX at the toyota dealer that is closer to me than Lexus. sure they'll sell it but they won't warranty it. This is insanity. WTF is the reasoning behind this? every other business in the world warranty's the serial number of the part, not the assembly it goes into. has it really been this way since lexus was created? how has this not been escalated and fixed yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom