Warped rotors or what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexLexican

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought warped rotors were easy to diagnose with a shaking wheel and vibrating pedal, but I’m not sure what I have going on. While slowing down to a stop from about 10 mph, my rig will have a rocking (forward and back) motion to it. At highway speeds and applying brakes there are no vibrations either.

Prior to this I had done brake work such as bleeding the fluid and changing the pads. The only thing I didn’t do was turn or change the rotors.

Last edited:
So if they arent shaking while braking then my guess would be its not warped rotors...could be a number of other things though.. UBJ/LBJ, bearings, CV, etc.. just my guess..

So if they arent shaking while braking then my guess would be its not warped rotors...could be a number of other things though.. UBJ/LBJ, bearings, CV, etc.. just my guess..
Alright. All the above I’ve recently replaced so who knows. At +300k miles I’m becoming concerned that my master cylinder and such are on their last leg. This new symptom is just one more to the list. Even with new pads (Napa brand) and a flush they don’t feel great.

I would try resurfacing the rotors (not 'turning' the rotors on a brake lathe). That little outer lip that sometimes forms on outer edge of the rotor should be removed too. And after, re-bed the brake pads properly.

I thought warped rotors were easy to diagnose with a shaking wheel and vibrating pedal, but I’m not sure what I have going on. While slowing down to a stop from about 10 mph, my rig will have a rocking (forward and back) motion to it. At highway speeds and applying brakes there are no vibrations either.

Prior to this I had done brake work such as bleeding the fluid and changing the pads. The only thing I didn’t do was turn or change the rotors.
What is rocking forward and backward at about 10 MPH like? I understand rocking forward and backward when the car is parked. I am confused when I apply that motion to a car that is moving at 10 MPH. Is that possible? Have you done any work to calipers? May be you have sticking caliper(s). It can become more obvious with new pads.

Reactions: GTV
Lol I didn't get the OP description either. I took it as not a normal motion you would get while braking or slowing down.

It doesn’t make sense to me either but it’s definitely a forward and backwards motion while braking/slowing down. No vibrations in the pedal or wheel.

Is it like slowing and then not slowing but quickly by the brakes working and then not working?

Worn out shocks?

When you replaced the pads how did the caliper look?
Front ones looked fine. The rear ones were seized open since the pads hadn’t been making contact with the rotors in a while. The rear rotors were rusted and pitting as a result so those I took in to be turned. I guess the calipers began to work again since the rotors were hot to the touch after the brake job.

I have a 2003 with the EXACT same symptoms- when braking from speed to a full stop ( just normal steady pedal pressure to come to a stop, like at a stoplight).
As the speed drops below 10 mph the vehicle begins this strange surging effect, with the surging getting more pronounced as the speed drops to zero.. It's a bit hard to describe- it's like the pedal is being given harder then softer pressure, except my foot is applying steady firm pressure. The rotors are almost new- less than 1000 miles on them.
As the truck comes to a stop the motion is very pronounced- i can see the front end swinging side to side a bit. But, if I hit the brakes at speed, no pulsing until speed drops below 10-12 mph. So frustrating.

I have a 2003 with the EXACT same symptoms- when braking from speed to a full stop ( just normal steady pedal pressure to come to a stop, like at a stoplight).
As the speed drops below 10 mph the vehicle begins this strange surging effect, with the surging getting more pronounced as the speed drops to zero.. It's a bit hard to describe- it's like the pedal is being given harder then softer pressure, except my foot is applying steady firm pressure. The rotors are almost new- less than 1000 miles on them.
As the truck comes to a stop the motion is very pronounced- i can see the front end swinging side to side a bit. But, if I hit the brakes at speed, no pulsing until speed drops below 10-12 mph. So frustrating.
Did you bed in your pads? I’m also wondering if I put too much grease on the caliper slide pins and if that’s somehow causing this…

Yes, and a visual inspection/feel of the rotors shows nothing wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom