Warped discs rotors again! help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had problems with warped rear rotors on my LC I changed them about 5000 mile ago, and now have the same problems again, I can feel the brake pedal move slightly up and down on slow braking and also had the rear right hand side wheel off the other day, and when I rotated the rotor, I could hear the disc rub on the pad at a certain spot, indicating that the disc has warped, can anyone suggest why it should happen again so quick.

Not at all no, dont often get off rod here in the UK, so all what I have done should be tame stuff to this car.

Warped rotors can also be caused by not braking in you brakes properly, hard stopping on new brakes can cause them to warp.

Replacement isn't the only option yo could try turning them

Eric Winkworth said:
Warped rotors can also be caused by not braking in you brakes properly, hard stopping on new brakes can cause them to warp.

Replacement isn't the only option yo could try turning them
Most who have turned rotors on 80 series have found they warp the rotors again very quickly.

heat is basically the main ingredient to a warped rotor. You need to find and identify the source. Becasue it's the front 4 piston caliper basically it narrows the field quite abit. By chance do you rest your foot on the brake pedal as you drive? When coming to a stop do you drag the brakes for an extended time slowly working up to the stop. How loaded is the truck? If lifted, have you compensated for the lift with the proportioning valve so the fronts aren't doing all the work. How are the rear calipers? Are they wearing the pads at a rate you suspect or slower indicating a loss of braking back there?

LC has never been fully loaded, I try and gradually brake to a stop, it's the rears that have warped again, it does not seem to be over braking on the rears, the rotors are aftermarket ones, but they are well made and look inedtical to the originals, I will think about having them turned as I can do that sort of thing at work. and thanks for all the replies so far.

Hi Gumby...... mmmmm the hanging up e brake answer, my e brake on the side that is warpred had a hanging e brake, it ended up not even working because it was jammed on, last week I freed off the sticking pin on the lever on the hub, which is now working fine, wonder if that caused the rotor to over heat at some point?

Sorry, I missed the part of it being the rears. Search on bellcrank as they are most likely seized in a somewhat on position. Every Toyota truck I've owned has had this problem. I beleive the total lack of any lubrication on Toyota's part is the root of the problem. After cleaning I use white lithium grease and pack the boot full of it. Once I've done this the problem doesn't seem to come back.

What pads are you runing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom