Warning - M-44 Sodium Cyanide devices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slomo

It's Complicated
Threads
Some of you may have heard about these before, like Dave :flipoff2:, but I only learned about them tonight. They are called M-44 devices and they are designed to kill predators of livestock. They stick in the ground and when touched or moved they eject lethal Sodium Cyanide. There are numerous cases of people and pets being severly injured and killed by them. One in particular is referenced in the 4Word of this months 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility where a man in Utah had one explode in his face. A few pics and links to more info.

Welcome to Adobe GoLive 5

M44 (cyanide device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
PD_M-44_Closeup.jpg
PD_M-44_Diagram.jpg

surely, they don't sell these things over the counter, I hope... :eek:

That has got to be the most idiotic inefficient way of controlling coyote's I have ever heard of.

Along with the coyote you are possibly killing deer, elk, people and the cattle they are meant to preserve. Let me guess some brain surgeon in Washington DC received a grant to come up with this brilliant idea.:idea:

Ditto! Talk about indiscriminant! :eek:

Perhaps I can use them on the damn rabbits that eat my garden or the two fawking yapping terriers next door! Just kidding about the terriers...maybe.

someone must be stupid and lazy, a 204 and a good scope and you are good for 150 yards easy on coyote's...

Last edited:
someone must be stupid and lazy, a 204 and a good scope and you are good for 1500 yards easy on coyote's...

Then you'd have the ASPCA after you! :bang:

someone must be stupid and lazy, a 204 and a good scope and you are good for 1500 yards easy on coyote's...

Exactly!

I grew up in Montana where the method of controlling coyote population on ranches was to jump in a helicopter or Cessna with a .223 and find them.:hillbilly:

Hey, I've got an idea; let's focus more energy on gun control. Who needs gun's when you've got these little gems?

The impression I got is that they acutally hand them out to the ranchers. :rolleyes: :ban:

Exactly!

I grew up in Montana where the method of controlling coyote population on ranches was to jump in a helicopter or Cessna with a .223 and find them.:hillbilly:

I was thinking a .270 with a good scope, but thats becuase I have access to one. :D

I like using a helicoptor or Cessna, much more efficient and stealth than a diesel truck.

Personally I have no problem with gun control, I think everyone should be able to control one effectively.. evens the odds... and scares theives.... and keeps this country a democracy.

Personally I have no problem with gun control, I think everyone should be able to control one effectively.. evens the odds... and scares theives.... and keeps this country a democracy.

Couldn't agree more. I just read a story in the paper a week or two ago about an 80 year old man who kept a criminal at bay who had entered his house while running from the cops. He didn't shoot him just protected himself and neutralized the situation. I have to imagine that if he was not armed the situation would have been worse. Those are the types of stories you never hear about and the kind of statistic that is hard if not impossible to quantify. I cannot understand the logic behind keeping guns out of the hands of law obiding citizens when it is virtually impossible to keep them out of the hands of criminals.

x100
In Colorado we would also take out our AR-15 for coyotes and .338 BAR for ground hogs. I guess farmers don't like ground hogs because cows can break the ankles if they were to slip into a hole. Fun for sure and great target practice before elk hunting!:cool:

x100
In Colorado we would also take out our AR-15 for coyotes and .338 BAR for ground hogs.

AR-15's are great for coyotes indeed but we would never own one in California though. :D

AR-15's are great for coyotes indeed but we would never own one in California though. :D

Sigh, I know. Thats why I ended up with a mini-14 ranch rifle. I actually think I got a good one in that it's fairly accurate given the bad reputation they have. It's that noodle thin barrel that's the problem. I plan on doing a few things to mine to tighten it up a bit more but for now I'm happy with it.

On the topic of the original post, what would the liability be in case of a person stepping on one of these? If a person got killed on your property because you put a poison bomb there, isn't that basically murder? Does this vary by state? I don't know for sure but I think I'd be in big trouble if I did that here. Reminds me of the scene in the Simpsons where they are leaving the bar and Mo says "hold on, let me set the alarm" he hits a switch or something and a shotgun lowers on a stick and string aimed at the door.

On the topic of the original post, what would the liability be in case of a person stepping on one of these? If a person got killed on your property because you put a poison bomb there, isn't that basically murder? Does this vary by state? I don't know for sure but I think I'd be in big trouble if I did that here. Reminds me of the scene in the Simpsons where they are leaving the bar and Mo says "hold on, let me set the alarm" he hits a switch or something and a shotgun lowers on a stick and string aimed at the door.

Good question. I looked into the case mentioned above in Utah a little and didn't see anything about a lawsuit or liability, yet. It sure seems to me that if there weren't even signs warning of thier presence on the property that would be grossly negligent but it was on private property I think which opens a whole new can of legal worms with the potential for trespassing and all. Still sucks either way and they should not be used. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom