Warn winch conversion question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been thinking for quite some time now about upgrading my 8274 winch from solenoids to (solid state???) modern control- this even though my winch has always worked properly. I've seen a lot of winch electric problems over the years and think this would be a great upgrade to pretty much ensure trouble free operation from this point forward. I believe at least one of the members here (Patrick?) has done this upgrade. Looking to see who has done what and where you bought your parts.

Get one of these. or the one Warn makes. I have them on my race car, twin motor winch.

PLEASE DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE ALUMINUM COVERS FOR THE SOLENOIDS. IF DAMAGED THEY CAN ARC AGAINST THE SOLENOIDS AND SHORT OUT THE WINCH AND BURN DOWN THE RIG!..there is a reason the Warn ones are made of plastic so they do not conduct electricity. A 600 amp battery will weld metal real quick.

Get one of these. or the one Warn makes. I have them on my race car, twin motor winch.

PLEASE DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE ALUMINUM COVERS FOR THE SOLENOIDS. IF DAMAGED THEY CAN ARC AGAINST THE SOLENOIDS AND SHORT OUT THE WINCH AND BURN DOWN THE RIG!..there is a reason the Warn ones are made of plastic so they do not conduct electricity. A 600 amp battery will weld metal real quick.
From USA supplier:

I would just make sure it's a legit Albright, P/N DC88P-1000. The Warn equivalent is Warn 34971. Here's a link to a thread in the Winching sub going through this upgrade. Go to the last page for pics from @John McVicker 's install. @BROKEROB1 also posted in that thread and installed the Warn version.

I installed the Warn contactor pack on my M12k and haven't had any issues with it. But it was the whole thing including the outer cover and new winch remote. The above thread is all about buying just the solid state unit and wiring it up yourself.

Gary, I'm in the middle of this too.
I drank all the koolaid and have the Albright contactor, upgraded motor, splined coupler and wireless controller, I even have the damn aluminum cover Rob said is junk 🙄
Happy to talk it over with you.

Winch wiring 101. If your winch relay dies, and your truck is hanging off the side of a mountain, this is how you wire the winch using jumper cables. Disconnect the relay wires before doing the jumpers.

Winch motor diagram.jpg

Last edited: