Warn Tabor 9K lb winch - anybody use one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

anybody used a warn Tabor 9K lb winch? I heard they are 'made offshore' and may be lower quality. They are described as 'value' series of winches on the Warn website, which scares me...

Opinions?

I talked to a Warn rep a few years back about them, and he said to consider them as lite duty or occasional use only. He didn't recommend them for heavier vechiles or serious off road use. If you are looking for a cheaper yet decent winch, Brad has had good results with his 8500lb Superwinch from Canadian Tire for $500.
Dave

go to costo and buy their chinese winches, kicking deal for the buck
but
if you are actually going to use the winch then you can not beat the 8274 series, huge money but tough, reliable and good looking.

What kind of warranty does it come with (if new)?

Not sure, it's new in the box, but a private sale... $500 or maybe a little less.... not sure if the warranty would apply at all or not...

I talked to a Warn rep a few years back about them, and he said to consider them as lite duty or occasional use only. He didn't recommend them for heavier vechiles or serious off road use. If you are looking for a cheaper yet decent winch, Brad has had good results with his 8500lb Superwinch from Canadian Tire for $500.
Dave

That's good to know, I wonder if you can get parts for the SW.. but the price is right....I have a line on a winch bumper (or two) for the 60 and was hoping to fill the hole in it... would have come in handy last weekend... ;)

I found an older Warn rated @ 8000lbs in working condition for $150, but of course it sold right away...not sure of the model # but it looked like a very solid winch....Alas, the search is on...

I ran a Warn 9000 (the good one) for TEN years wtih no problems ever. It sat for five years rusting and now is on my work bench waiting for an overhaul. So in the meantime I purchased a 8500 Superwinch on sale at Canadian Tire. Have been impressed with it so far. Have not used it to pull myself but has worked well on last years winter run and the spring run. Excellent bang for the buck!!
Brad

go to costo and buy their chinese winches, kicking deal for the buck
but
if you are actually going to use the winch then you can not beat the 8274 series, huge money but tough, reliable and good looking.

Yep, if I had more coin right now I would hold out for an 8274, it sure seems to be the clear choice for just about everyone. No doubt their worth the coin either... however, not in the budget. This 9K Tabor, the guy'll take $400 for it... I am considering trying it out and if it sucks, well then I can upgrade in the future....Its new so I should get a few years out of it... one down side is Warn only warranties them for a year, which I understand is much different then there heavy duty winches.... Maybe I'll have to learn how to use snatch blocks and that will help. I guess I don't (at this point) think I'll use it every weekend or anything... more like a few times a year...

I ran a Warn 9000 (the good one) for TEN years wtih no problems ever. It sat for five years rusting and now is on my work bench waiting for an overhaul. So in the meantime I purchased a 8500 Superwinch on sale at Canadian Tire. Have been impressed with it so far. Have not used it to pull myself but has worked well on last years winter run and the spring run. Excellent bang for the buck!!
Brad

Good to know... How did Canadian Tire have them on for? I have hear other folks say they are decent considering the price range....

just remember why you buy a winch...
it is to get your ass out of the prediciment you just got it into.

and

there are times when they are literally life savers.

<oh the stories i could tell>

Brad

Brads superwinch pulled me out when i got a little stuck;)

stucksnow.jpg
stucksnow.jpg

Great Pic!!!
What a awesome day that was! Once we found the remote and positioned the snatch to get the right angle, popped right out! Thought we were going to have to stay the night right there at one point!!

Nice pic... I am going to try this cheap warn and see how it works...When are we going wheeling next, I'll need some lessons!

I got a line on a bumper too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom