Warn M193 Hub Refurbishment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm planning on cleaning/polishing the warn locking hubs on my 1973 FJ40 this winter. They are M193s. I don't know if they are original or not. I will be redoing the paint lettering on them as well. I can't find an example of the paint scheme anywhere on the forum or on the intertubes. The installed hubs have red lettering for lock and yellow lettering for free. Can anyone share an example of the paint scheme for these hubs?

Thanks

Warn 1.jpg
Warn 2.jpg

I just bought a rebuild kit for mine too…. And the knuckle. So I’m following to learn the answer. I spent a couple hours trying to find the dial sold separate so I could just replace that part for a cosmetically beautiful one, but it’s not sold separately.

On my 76, I could see remnants of black for the lettering and the pockets on the "gold" center, but I couldn't find any trace of paint in the outer letters for the lock/free...so that's what I went with.

I've seen a few with the red lettering there, but can't say I've ever seen yellow. Not sure if it varies by year, though.

PXL_20210717_185122032.MP.jpg

On my 76, I could see remnants of black for the lettering and the pockets on the "gold" center, but I couldn't find any trace of paint in the outer letters for the lock/free...so that's what I went with.

I've seen a few with the red lettering there, but can't say I've ever seen yellow. Not sure if it varies by year, though.

View attachment 2833093
Thanks for the response. I think I will follow the black paint scheme on this hub and the red and yellow paint scheme on my hub unless someone provides a picture that shows otherwise.

I have a '72 that I purchased in '76 with those Warn Hubs. Never was any paint on them whatsoever.

The '72 now has Aisins and a mini truck axle modification. The Warns are now on my '75, after rebuild/refurbish kit from Cruiser Outfitters. They replaced the Smittybilts installed by the P.O.

When you guys get your rebuild kits, I would check the gaskets right away in case you have issues. When I got the Warn rebuild kit #7309 it had the wrong gaskets. Two times. Spoke with Warn & they pulled a kit off the shelf, and it also had the wrong gaskets. They had no explanation, but they did round up two gaskets for me and I got them back together. I asked if I could buy a dozen, but they didn’t have them.

Amazon, Warn 7309. See my review by (John N)

My post “HERE” on Mud.

When you guys get your rebuild kits, I would check the gaskets right away in case you have issues. When I got the Warn rebuild kit #7309 it had the wrong gaskets. Two times. Spoke with Warn & they pulled a kit off the shelf, and it also had the wrong gaskets. They had no explanation, but they did round up two gaskets for me and I got them back together. I asked if I could buy a dozen, but they didn’t have them.

Amazon, Warn 7309. See my review by (John N)

My post “HERE” on Mud.
Thanks for the heads up.

I think I had the same issue, but I had two different gasket sets...so between the two I had what I needed.

Side note, seems like the "new" flavors just have the blackened centers and letters on the dial, with nothing on the outer lettering. Mine did have a black "something", whether it was paint or some sort of anodizing for the recessed parts of the dial. Poor photo on the originals, but you can see a bit where the black was chipped/missing. You could see the same in some of the lettering as well, but it was on the other hub.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 7.18.43 PM.png

Premium-Manual-Hub.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom