Warn/Aisin locking hub swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the Warn automatic hubs off my 77 FJ40 and put them on my 87 FJ60 and they have worked fine for years. When I tried to put the Aisin hubs I took off the FJ60 onto the FJ40 the hub clutch assembly bumps into the snap ring on the axle spline about 1/8th of an inch before it seats against the hub body. am I missing something or does the swap work one way but not the other?

if stock your 1977 has the long birfs, they require the long body aisin/asco hubs
the warn hubs will work either way as they are longer
the later 1979+ birfs are the more common short version, that is what your 60 series would have

the stock aisin hubs are very strong and durable, I wouldn't swap them for warns

If birf length is the only difference can a spacer be fabricated to extend the hub to where the clutch assembly will fit? [I am still using the warn hubs on the FJ60.] Or do I have to purchase longer hubs or just hub bodys and use the same clutch assemblies.

You will need to remove the snap ring and use a washer/bolt on the end if the axle.

hub (1).jpg

You can also change the birfields. It requires a little grinding on the ball portion of the axle. You can search and find instructions. The bolt is for the warn hubs it doesn’t work for Aisin hubs which are shorter. The longer Asco hubs are pretty rare and expensive when you find them.

If birf length is the only difference can a spacer be fabricated to extend the hub to where the clutch assembly will fit? [I am still using the warn hubs on the FJ60.] Or do I have to purchase longer hubs or just hub bodys and use the same clutch assemblies.
I swapped out the Warns and the stock long birfs on my '76 with new short Aisin hubs and shorter Longfield birfs.
Here's the birfs side by side:
3AB313BA-49E9-4622-BAAE-F285BC4DF386.jpeg

Before and after:

5643933B-DB59-4C82-A7DE-192F1809C28A.jpeg

BF52FE7D-DD31-4FD4-9C2D-8A0C14924FD5.jpeg

Well my reading comprehension sucks. I misread and thought you went the other way.
As the other folks correctly pointed out, you will need shorter birfs or longer Aisin or Asco hubs.

I went long ASCO’s on the stock birf’s

92963C2C-15D6-42AF-9402-3EB286E99C6D.jpeg

That would be as bad as putting an extra fan spacer on a water pump. People sheer the 8mm hub studs/bolts often enough without the torque multiplier of an added spacer.

In the diagram posted above with the red circle around the bolt and washer, it shows a hex head bolt for hub retention, Um, pretty sure thats a bad idea. Curious what that pic is from.

In the diagram posted above with the red circle around the bolt and washer, it shows a hex head bolt for hub retention, Um, pretty sure thats a bad idea. Curious what that pic is from.

That was from a Warn Hub search. When swapping to a Warn Hub, this bolt and washer is needed. (on the Long Birfield). It doesn't apply to P.O.';s question because my reading comprehension sucks.. He was trying to go back to Aisin on an axle that has the long Birf, 76-78. He needs the longer Aisin Hub or a shorter Birfield. Or go back to Warn which isn't all that bad.

The screw in the end of birf ( short birf with long hub) keeps axle from walking in. The Hex head bolt in picture I was reffering to was the one that is meant to retain the 4x4 selector hub to the wheel hub. On Toyotas the wheel hub is studded AND they use cone washers and locating/shear pins to secure & locate the 4x4 selector hub.

The Warn hub is long so when installing on early 40's and such with the short birf you can not put the outer snap ring on to keep axle from walking into diff hence the screw and washer. Posting pics with no explanation could confuse people and waste their time, cause improper installations and possible parts failure. Just sayin that people read this and take it to heart so mis information can get people all crossed up. DO NOT use hex head bolts and flat washers to secure the 4x4 selector hub to the wheel hub on Land Cruisers.

Last edited:
Really, the screw in the end of birf ( short birf with long hub) keeps axle from walking in. The Hex head bolt in picture I was refering to was the one that is meant to retain the 4x4 selector hub to the wheel hub. On Toyotas the wheel hub is studded AND they use cone washers and locating/shear pins to secure & locate the 4x4 selector hub.

The Warn hub is long so when installing on early 40's and such with the short birf you can not put the outer snap ring on to keep axle from walking into diff hence the screw and washer. Posting random s*** with no explanation could confuse people and waste their time, cause improper installations and possible parts failure. Just sayin that people read this and take it to hart so mis information can get people all crossed up. DO NOT use hex head bolts and flat washers to secure the 4x4 selector hub to the wheel hub on Land Cruisers.
John, are you sure you don’t want to edit YOUR post for clarity?

Last edited:
Hubs come in two basic varieties John. The Aisin/Asco type, which I will refer to as steel, and the Warn/Selectro/AVM/everything else type, which I will refer to, for lack of specific knowledge of composition, as aluminum.

Now sure there are some other variants out there, which I’m sure some hyper-vigilant post-padder will ‘correct’ me about :rolleyes: , but you get my drift.

Studs and cones are definitely THE way to secure the steel hubs mentioned above. Their holes are designed for it, and more importantly, the composition can handle it. Studs and cones on a typical tapered body aluminum hub will lead to failure, as those hubs don’t have the composition for it.

Now granted, there are a fair number of Warn hubs running around anchored with studs and split washers (no cones). But there are 10 times as many running around both happily and safely with bolts and split washers, which is why I consider your statement inaccurate.

I wheel my junk pretty hard from time to time. I have broken nine drum brake birfields over the last five decades. but I have never broken a hub bolt.😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom