Warn 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a Warn 8274 8000 lb. winch on eBay for $895. The item no. is 222887476136. Is the 8000 lb. capacity good for an FJ40 or should I be looking for something more like 12000 lb. capacity? What would be a fair price for it? Thanks for your thoughts.
Ken

The 8274 is just about perfect for a FJ40.

Rebuilt, pretty and shipped for $900 is ok, if it's not pretty then I would keep an eye out on Craigslist and Pirate for one under $500. Keep in mind that they are heavy so shipping is a consideration.
I bought mine local for $200 and did nothing to it other than add synthetic rope and a new remote.

Pirate4x4.com/forum/

Here is another.
winch
Avoid the ones that say Jeep on them, they were a Jeep option in the 70's and you don't want to have Jeep parts on your 40.

Thanks again. Not sure why my craigslist search doesn't turn up anything. I really appreciate your help!

Those are both in AZ. Not everybody knows what they have and unfortunately a lot of people can't spell. My 8274 was identified as "an old wench" in the CL ad.

Those are both in AZ. Not everybody knows what they have and unfortunately a lot of people can't spell. My 8274 was identified as "an old wench" in the CL ad.
"An old wench" would be great for serving you beer in a pub.

I’ve seen them come up as “warm wench” before too. Sometimes warn 8000 as well.

Depending on how old your 40 is this could be cool. It's a cable operated predecessor to the 8274.
Your 40 would need to be born in the 60's to pull it off though

Wench

Wait a min, isn't @kezamora rebuilding his 40? Going along those lines, I think he needs to rebuild an old 8274 winch as well. Can't have a spanky newish winch on a rebuilt 40, now can we? :flipoff2:

My FJ40 is a 1982. Installing a 4" lift with reverse shackles, a swing out rear bumper tire carrier, and a 8274 winch front bumper, and 35" tires on 16" rims. Then it is on to running gear and I have a Chevy 350 small block if the 2F isn't up to it. Looks like most 8274's will need some rebuilding. John said the 40 didn't come with posi so I would like to convert the differentials and maybe add lockers. Whew.

John said the 40 didn't come with posi so I would like to convert the differentials and maybe add lockers. Whew.

My suggestion for a locker ... ARB. I have one of the full-time lunch-box lockers in the rear of mine and it's annoying most of the time, and scary all of the time if the roads are wet. If you are building a trail truck it doesn't matter. But if it will see daily-driver time I would shy away from a full-time locker.

My suggestion for a locker ... ARB. I have one of the full-time lunch-box lockers in the rear of mine and it's annoying most of the time, and scary all of the time if the roads are wet. If you are building a trail truck it doesn't matter. But if it will see daily-driver time I would shy away from a full-time locker.

I agree with the ARB. Lunchbox lockers are OK-ish in the front axle but I wouldn't use one in the rear. Especially in a shortwheel base 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom