Warn 8274 with fairlead on the stock bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregoncruisers.com
Hey guys, I just got done rebuilding an old 8274 I picked up for cheap. I want to mount it up so the fairlead is mounted to the stock bumper. This will leave the factory look (not into the stubby rock-crawler bumpers everyone sells). And also get the winch a little lower than having the fairlead on top of the bumper (more air to the rad).
Anyone have better pics of a setup like this? This is the pic from the SOR catalog its actually the picture for their tire chains

338-31_i-big.jpg

Anyways looking for pics of peoples setups before I start to fab something up.
Suggestions why not to do it this way?
And where do I get the land cruiser windshield shade sticker?

Last edited:
I like it as well.....The 8274 would be my choice too, its just taller than I'd like on aftermarket bumpers.....
Maybe you could just cut a spot for the cable/rollers and brace up a mount that also reinforces the cut bumper?

Really like the thought of this...

Got pics of your mounting setup cruiserjunkie?
Is the stock bumper strong enough to handle the force it will see if I just put a mounting plate behind it?

Suggestions why not to do it this way?

An OEM bumper is paper-thin compared to the many aftermarket options available. MAF sells a very well made aftermarket bumper that is very close to the same length as the factory bumper.

Modifying a stock bumper to allow the cable to pass through it and have the roller fairlead mounted out front will not only require substantially stronger mounting hardware, but a thick mounting plate for the winch to be secured to, solid spacers between the bumper and the winch plate where the fairlead is secured, so as to prevent the bumper from collapsing when attempting to secure the winch to the mounting plate, and a competent welder.

Modifying a stock bumper for a winch to be mounted to it would be my last choice.

And where do I get the land cruiser windshield shade sticker?

Doesn’t SOR have it listed with their other hard core, must have 'upgrades'? :lol:

I guess the bumper that came with my cruiser was at lest 5/16's channel so it wasn't stock. The new one is box. I would guess an upgraded c channel bumper would be pretty cheap. I never pulled the old one off and the winch got a workout. It's held on by 12 3/8 grade 8 bolts

3/16", with the mounting plate, dunno what it costs to ship.
Also keep in mind. I want this put together so it wont break and kill me or someone.
But this rig is not getting wheeled hard ever. The winch will very rarely see use.
When it does I want it to work...but I dont need overkill rockcrawler setup either.

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say it look at the HFS bumper from CCOT. Clean and heavy duty. Not bad on the $ either.

Here's mine. I'm not too sure of the manufacturer, but I've not had any cooling problems. I snapped this picture right after I got the bolts installed & before I got the battery cables attached, but you get the idea...

--jeff
winch_installed.jpg

3/16", with the mounting plate, dunno what it costs to ship.
Also keep in mind. I want this put together so it wont break and kill me or someone.
But this rig is not getting wheeled hard ever. The winch will very rarely see use.
When it does I want it to work...but I dont need overkill rockcrawler setup either.

I searched and it seems like the answers on the thickness required on a front bumper vary all over the place.

Has anyone actually bent one that was 3/16 that wouldn't have bent anyway?

Ok I ordered a JT bumper. Will post up when I get it.
I figure by the time I drive to the steel yard 40 miles away, fab something up, drive back up to town 20 miles and have it powder coated...this will save me some coin.
We shall see how it holds up!

Did you get your JT bumper mounted? Was it worth the money? I have a 8274 I need to get mounted and have the same idea's as you on the looks ect.

I had a C channel bumper bent out of 3/16 at a local shop for $30. I had to drill the holes to mount, and am planning on truncating the corners. No shipping and took them about 10 min.

Good luck

Here is mine with stock bumper. Winch has been well used with no problems. Never had a problem with cooling. Attached to the frame with grade 8 bolts and a couple of spot welds for security.
100_1274.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom