Warn 10000 lb winch? no longer made? OK? ARB? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
have been told of a used Warn 10000 lbs for sale.
I don't see it on the Warn site. Is it no longer manufactured?
I remember seeing it mentioned as fitting the ARB bull bumper for the 80 so I imagine it would fit that? thinking it might be a good size for an 80...
Is it worth considering? is an OK winch or discontinued for tech reasons? Or better stick with current models?
what would be a good deal on a 10 year old winch in OK condition (said to have one "bar" slightly bent....) and working fine?

the guy thinks it's an MX / D1 model (maybe from the tag?)

e9999;
I've got one on my 80. Good winch. They replaced it with the 12k model. It looks the same as a 12k, but has a little higher gearing, thus the 10k rating. I would pay around $400 for a used one. Be advised that all Warns are not greased properly and u may need to take it apart, clean out old wax like grease and use Amsoil grease on everything inside. The design of the winch has aluminum and steel mating, creating corrosion and making it difficult to operate; especially when its zero degrees outside. These winches are so powerful that they will damage the roller fairlead; going to a synthetic cable is the future. Experience speaking here...

dfmorse said:
e9999;
I've got one on my 80. Good winch. They replaced it with the 12k model. It looks the same as a 12k, but has a little higher gearing, thus the 10k rating. I would pay around $400 for a used one. Be advised that all Warns are not greased properly and u may need to take it apart, clean out old wax like grease and use Amsoil grease on everything inside. The design of the winch has aluminum and steel mating, creating corrosion and making it difficult to operate; especially when its zero degrees outside. These winches are so powerful that they will damage the roller fairlead; going to a synthetic cable is the future. Experience speaking here...

good to know
would it be possible to swap gears and turn it into a 12K? :)
where are these corrosion problems?
anything to ask about or check for if I go look at it?
and you have this on an ARB Deluxe, correct? Bolt-on?
thanks much

Don't know about swapping gears. In any case, it will pull the hell out anything u get into.

The corrosion is inside the unit, usually where the alloy case and steel handle mate. after a number of years, the build up can cause the lever to freeze up, making the winch inoperable.

I would check to see if it works; hook up battery to control solenoid box and see if the hand control works. Here is a schematic for the winch:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page12.html

Yes it bolts to the ARB deluxe

The ARB winch bumper was actually designed around the M10000 so no worries there. I believe the winch frame size is the same and that it uses the same motor as the M12000. I wouldn't mess with the gearing, it will be just fine as it is. I read an article in a 4wd mag several years ago where they measured the average cable tension in various extraction scenerios. If I'm remembering right, the average winch pull was 3000 pounds of pulling force. If you are concerned, just bring a snatch block to double the pull force if needed.

One other data point, is that Alvaro had to winch his 80 several times last month on the Rubicon and he did fine with a single line pull from an M8000.

If you can find a working M10000 for $400, I would jump on it quick. An M12000 is north of $1000.

yes Warn no longer sells the 10K but ARB USA does. I beleive its the older 2.5hp motor. The 12k is not the same size, it is longer because of the 4.6hp motor and will need a wee bit of triming I think to fit in an ARB, I had to trim to fit it in mine.

I picked up a unused M10000 a few years ago for $300, it was on a truck that was totaled, the seller replaced the selnoid box and I had to get new cable......I was quite happy.

dang, just talked to Warn, they say the MX10000 is predating the M10000, probably 20 years old, with significant changes made later to the M10000. MX drum different etc. Parts availability questionable with need to upgrade to fix problems, which could be expensive....
sigh...

Landpimp said:
will need a wee bit of triming I think to fit in an ARB, I had to trim to fit it in mine.

Nillage. M12k fits perfectly. Will only have to drill 2 bolt holes. Yes, it's bigger and fits snug but fits fine.

didnt in my ARB....

WTF=Junk :D

WTF said:
Nillage. M12k fits perfectly. Will only have to drill 2 bolt holes. Yes, it's bigger and fits snug but fits fine.

The M12K didn't replace the M10K, both were available in parallel for a long time and shared most components, except for the gear reduction in the M12K.

I've never seen an MX10K but Warn is notorious for carrying parts for a lot of their older winches, even some ancient ones. If the winch is in good shape, you might take it and use the money saved to stock up on some extra solenoids to have as spares, maybe upgrade the control box if you think it's worth it.

Exiled said:
The M12K didn't replace the M10K, both were available in parallel for a long time and shared most components, except for the gear reduction in the M12K.

I've never seen an MX10K but Warn is notorious for carrying parts for a lot of their older winches, even some ancient ones. If the winch is in good shape, you might take it and use the money saved to stock up on some extra solenoids to have as spares, maybe upgrade the control box if you think it's worth it.

well, they did tell me they didn't have all the parts.
Why is everybody always talking about solenoids, btw, are these prone to failure?

e9999 said:
well, they did tell me they didn't have all the parts.
Why is everybody always talking about solenoids, btw, are these prone to failure?

E-Do you remember Steve who rode with Marty at Cruise Moab? He is the Warn tech rep when you call them on the phone. He carries spare solenoids to give to people, so yes, my guess is they do tend to fail. They carry very high currents and sit out in the weather, so that can't be good. If you are truely interested in that old winch, I'll send you his email address in a pm and you can ask the true expert. He is a very cool and helpful guy. One more reason to always buy Warn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom