Warm AC while idling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening everyone, I’ve noticed that when my FZJ80 is still (AC on, engine running), the air goes from cool to warm until I start moving again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’ve had the AC recharged at a mechanic’s earlier this season so I dont believe its low.

Thanks, Rick

Sounds like the condenser isn't getting enough air flow. If it were mine I'd verify that the fan clutch is up to snuff and would change the oil and check the valve opening temp. on it if you haven't done that before or just get one of the upgraded fan clutches (not simply a stock replacement) available via mud vendor(s). I'd also clean the condenser (blow it out, use coil cleaner if needed, straighten fins, etc.) and replace any missing foam around the radiator to help encourage air flow a little. Making sure that your fan shroud is in place would also be something I'd take care of. You may well have other problems and so troubleshooting/etc. before you do any of the above is probably smart but all of the above are things that I'd do regardless of symptoms with any 80.

One way you can test if the condenser is not getting cooling air is to feel for air flow around it with the truck idling. You can also spray the condenser with water, essentially cooling it down, to see if that causes your AC temps to drop again as a way to confirm that ineffective cooling is the culprit here.

Mines up to snuff, upgraded fan clutch, great condition and just barely hit 100k miles. Ron Davis radiator etc. these engines just run hot and their old. The ac is never that cold until I start moving again.

I'm with jpoole here. Get all the low-hanging fruit in order, then see where you're at. Cool AC at idle is possible. Mine does it here in the Midwest with our awful elevated dew points. But it didn't do it until I got everything right, including the fan clutch. Now it can idle at 190 F and still blow cool air out the vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom