Wanted FJ40 - (details inside) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Within the next 2 weeks I am looking to buy a 40. Would like a 74 to 78 but will consider older ones. I'm only going to have 3,00 max to spend so I don't mind one that is beat up a little.

Location: Memphis, TN but will drive roughly 6 hours in any direction.
Pickup Means: I will bring a trailer to take the rig home.
Use: Off road, not an extreme crawler by any means but will be used on larger rock trails and hopefully never come close to lots of mud.
Wanted condition: I will use this thing off road and have no plans on restoring the body to 100% but don't wont a rust bucket either, must have solid frame. Engine can either be a 2f or conversion but needs to be sound. Something that will get me from the trailer, through the trails, and back without falling apart or dieing on me. It doesn't have to have a top but would be nice (hard or soft). I don't mind having to do work to it, just trying to get as much as I can for my money.
Wish list: I know this is asking for a lot but when all is said and done, this is what I will have on/in my rig. Anything already done is just a plus.
  • Locker front/rear (will be ARB but any time is fine)
  • 4:56 or 88 Gears (stock 4:10 would be fine)
  • 33" or 35" - Beads would be great but that would start to push it out of my price range.
  • Lift to allow 33/35s (4" or so)
  • Shackle reversal
  • Roll Cage
  • Disk Brakes
  • Power Steering
  • Spring over axle (Maybe)
  • Winch
I'm not looking for something that I can take out and tear up, but something that I will be able to maintain/add on to and will keep me out on the trail for years to come. Again it will be two weeks before I can purchase one but figured I'd go ahead and put the feller out.

Yea, I saw that, but after reading some comments here...
and its too far away. Thanks though.

Last edited:
Yea I'm looking at the 3200 one now, just don't know if I want an automatic. Just depends, I'm in talks with him now though. Figured I'd post here and see if anyone had one other than this one as I havn't been able to get pictures from him yet.

Hrmm, so you would go with the factory soft over all the extras of the other?

1975 fj 40-- $2200

I have a '75 FJ40 for sale; too many projects and NO time. It's a very solid rig with original drive trane (2F rebuilt) but it needs a little work before seeing the trail. The PO said the tcase occasionally popped out of gear, needs a rear drive shaft (twisted) and needs new clutch master and slave cyls installed (I have them NIB). It has no top or doors, seats are rough (I also have junkyard leather seats --very nice!) and a good tranny/tcase from an 86 FJ60 (stronger style split-case) that I'll throw in just in case it's something more serious than a broken motor mount causing it to pop out of gear. It also has 33x14.5x15 Boggers with ~ 75-80% tread on white spokes; PO installed LONG shackles with stock springs for a lift :rolleyes: and rattle can OD paint. It does have a Webber instead of OEM carb. I've owned several 40's and IMO this is a perfect candidate for a trail rig-not trashed, rotted, beat to death, etc- but not a show rig either. If you're interested, send an email to rising_david@yahoo.com and I'll send you some pics.

Thanks,

Dave

Cheap FJ40

I would look at the one on Craigslist in NoVa... Its probably a couple more hours away... but it looks like a beauty and the price is very reasonable. That 40 looks like its got years to go with little work.

C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom