Want to upgrade fuel pump ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I need to replace my fuel pump resistor and since I have to I’ve been debating on upgrading my fuel pump and my resistor or bypassing itt so i am at a standstill until i can figure out what would be better ...

The reason i want to upgrade it is to achieve better idol and make it run a little smoother.

But now is there a complete upgrade kit ? Pump, resistor, relay ?

Do i need to piece it all together ? If so any recommendations?

Do i just delete the resistor ?

My first pump went 300k along with the resistor and relay , all original, I replaced with Toyota on relay resistor, pump. All the parts are now back ups they didn’t fail. I don’t think you can ask for much more

Have you ohm'd it out (tested) your old resistor?

A good idle is more likely the product of a clean throttle body, good spark plugs and wires, no vacuum leaks, properly operating injectors and IAC.

The fuel pump resistor would be way down the list of things I would look at. I'm guessing you understand the purpose of it and have probably read accounts of permanently bypassing it (for better or for worse)?

the pump is not causing your rough idle. The stock configuration and flow rate is more than enough to handle this engine. Bypassing the fuel pump resistor makes no sense and suggest a lack of understanding of how the system functions. I highly advise against traveling down this road, you will end up with a botched / cut up rig that doesn't run right and will ultimately end up at the crusher. There is no secret hidden layer of panty wetting power that will be unleashed by hacking the fuel pump resistor out of the circuit.

Believe me I saved one from such a fate but only after I ripped out all the mods the previous owner had done to "enhance" the rig which meant replacing all of the wiring harnesses.
IMG_20160702_203500640_zpsccrwnb7y.jpg
Point is, these engines and vehicles are simple devices and run very well for hundreds of thousands of miles with little to no maintenance, trust the design.

This reminds me of the top gear india special where the guys attempt to improve the efficiency of the dabbawala (mass food delivery) by using a car instead of a train..... Problem is the dabbawala delivers the right meals on time 99.99991% of the time, so the episode is inevitably filled with the calamity of the three presenters screwing it all up.

So to bring it full circle, do you think you know more than the engineers at the biggest car company in the world, a company which explicitly designs this particular vehicle to be the most robust vehicle on the planet?

Last edited:
the pump is not causing your rough idle. The stock configuration and flow rate is more than enough to handle this engine. Bypassing the fuel pump resistor makes no sense and suggest a lack of understanding of how the system functions. I highly advise against traveling down this road, you will end up with a botched / cut up rig that doesn't run right and will ultimately end up at the crusher. There is no secret hidden layer of panty wetting power that will be unleashed by hacking the fuel pump resistor out of the circuit.

Believe me I saved one from such a fate but only after I ripped out all the mods the previous owner had done to "enhance" the rig which meant replacing all of the wiring harnesses.
View attachment 1990753 Point is, these engines and vehicles are simple devices and run very well for hundreds of thousands of miles with little to no maintenance, trust the design.

This reminds me of the top gear india special where the guys attempt to improve the efficiency of the dabbawala (mass food delivery) by using a car instead of a train..... Problem is the dabbawala delivers the right meals on time 99.99991% of the time, so the episode is inevitably filled with the calamity of the three presenters screwing it all up.

So to bring it full circle, do you think you know more than the engineers at the biggest car company in the world, a company which explicitly designs this particular vehicle to be the most robust vehicle on the planet?

Everyone think they'er going to recreate the wheel :bang:

View attachment 1990753 Point is, these engines and vehicles are simple devices and run very well for hundreds of thousands of miles with little to no maintenance, trust the design.

bro chill it was a question ........ no need to be a d I c k

@Mario12345 , please stop creating NEW threads with each thought you have.
When you do that, you lose connection and information with the three other threads you started, asking slightly different questions about the same system.
Keeping it all in one thread helps everyone, including you.

We try to take time to answer you, but end up having to repeat what was said previously.

Also, for the new folks, it's just that many more threads they must read to try to find the tidbit of info they need, just like what would have happened for you. If you did your searches, you find hundreds of threads and don't want to read all of them.

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to offer suggestions on how to make it easier for all.

Damn! School is in session.

bro chill it was a question ........ no need to be a d I c k

If you look at any of the "help my engine dies randomly" or any other mechanical real-time help threads you will find that I go out of my way to help members resolve their issues. Seriously browse through the last two pages of recent posts in the 80's tech forum, you will see that I donate tons of time meticulously detailing proper methods of troubleshooting diagnostics to members. I try to stick with them until resolution.

You have made 3 threads in the tech forum about the resistor in the last two days with the assumption that it had failed based on a visual inspection (which unless its melted down means nothing). In your second thread, you stated you wanted to upgrade your fuel pump and bypass the resistor, in that thread I told you that is not a good idea and that the stock system is excellent when maintained. Additionally, I stated that if your resistor has failed it is likely due to a failure/malfunction of another component in the fuel delivery circuit. Surprisingly enough you had made a thread on Wednesday about how your EFI fuse keeps blowing. I'll admit I haven't responded to that thread yet, but I will because likely that is indicating that something in the fuel circuit is failing.

Then you made another thread asking the same question about bypassing the resistor. To me, this seemed like you didn't get the answer you wanted when you asked dad so you went to mom looking for a different answer. So I restated what I said in the other thread more poignantly and directly take it as you will.

There are two methods to solve mechanical issues;
  1. Diagnostic Troubleshooting: which requires work, patience and time but it is successful 100% of the time while being less costly than the second method
  2. Parts Cannon: Fire off the good ol' parts cannon at the vehicle until whatever is ****ed becomes unfucked. This method is very costly, frustrating, and may never resolve the issue.

I will look into your EFI thread and give you my advice there, it's up to you if you use it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom