1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to make it auto

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by xl715, Feb 23, 2004.

1. xl715

xl715

Hi all!! I have been in my dash for a while installing a new stereo in the 80, I'll post pics when done(custom fiberglass door pods 2 12's about 1200 watts!!)
    Anyway, while in there I poked around at the climate control box and noticed the swith on the back of it labeled A and M. I assume that this is auto and manual, as i don't have auto climate control(blank square in middle of control pane) However I took the control box apart and behind that dummy plate is the swith components and led's. If you put the swithch on the back to auto, and press the middle switch it turns of all manual controls like it tries to go auto. I noticed that the temp sensor tube conected to the back of the box has no sensor in it, so that would need to be acuired.
    Basically what I'm looking for is a list of components missing so I can convert this thing to auto, even if I have to go to newer rigs for the parts.
    Have to go to work now but will check responses latter, thanks for all info, sorry for long post.

2. Rogue

Rogue

Just about everyone who does have the auto climate control doesn't want it. Why waste money?

3. Darwood

Darwood

Along with the temp sensor I think you would also need the sun sensor that goes on the dash near the defrost vents. If you look you can see the cutout for the sensor (at least I can see it on my truck). Also an outside temp sensor would be required. not sure where the stock location for that is.

I wonder if the one of those mystery plugs in the dash is for the sun sensor? There is a plug near the two stereo plugs (the non amplified plugs).

4. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Not being able to help; but I like my Climate Control. It's a good investment if you cound find an easy switch. I have never had any Auto Climate Controlled issues on any of the cars I've/d owned. Besides, you could always override it for specific need.

Regards,
    Frank.

5. wob

wob

I don't find it too inconvenient to slide the little bar every now and then. ::)

Climate control just has more things to break or malfunction.

Just MHO, though.

:flipoff2:

6. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Just a thought but switching to "A" from "M" makes a manual controlled system act like an automatic control, maybe the reverse is true. All the disgruntled Lexi and 40th Anniversary owners can turn there automatic systems into the much desired manual system by flipping this switch. DICLAIMER - just a thought. I know my 94 manual has this switch and the EWD diagram shows some components in the diagrams that indicate “not for use in North America”. I wonder if automatic control was available elsewhere in the world in 93/94 model years.

7. xl715

xl715

The reason I want auto climate control is that I have remote start with climate control output. It would be real nice in the summer to have the climate control cool the rig to specified temp while remote started. On the other side it would be real nice to have the rig heat itself to specified temp in the winter. Besides, around here in the summer it offten gets to that temp bettwen being comfortable with a/c on and a/c off, so I constantly turning it on then off, a real pain. I just thought if I could take pieces off a newer model that came with auto in the US I could retrofit my system. I would like to do it with the seat heaters too!! I know the wire exsists from center console to under each seat, just need switch and heating element, Plus?
    Again, thanks for all help!!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">