Want to make a new center console, was there ever a pedal operated e-brake?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, my first task with the cruiser now that the Jeep is gone, is to do something about this god forsaken center console. The two major things to be addressed in the redesign are the lack of cupholders and the distance of the armrest from my arm.

I started investigating this morning and the first obvious snag is the positioning of the hand brake. If you pull it all the way up it obviously interferes with where the driver's armrest should be. So my question is, was there a foot-pedal for the e-brake or some other configuratoin, and what did the overseas FJ's look like in that area?

Thanks

Ary

P.S. I investigated the roof rack this morning and not only did all of the screws come out, I pulled them all out and anti-seized them for the future so that it won't be a problem :D Oh, and the metal strips on the roof slid right off as well! :cheers:

AFAIK, no cruiser ever had a foot operated E-brake.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
I started investigating this morning and the first obvious snag is the positioning of the hand brake. If you pull it all the way up it obviously interferes with where the driver's armrest should be. So my question is, was there a foot-pedal for the e-brake or some other configuratoin, and what did the overseas FJ's look like in that area?
QUOTE]

Great idea! I am anxious to see what you come up with.

:idea: I was thinking, rather then fussing with trying to relocate the e-brake, why not make the drivers armrest hinged so that you could fold it out of the way when pulling the e-brake?

If I was to build one, I would include a mini-cooler big enough to keep a cold pack cold for the end of the trail :cool:

Keep us posted on your progress

Nice idea, if you cannot find a pedal you may want to look at the parking brake from a Tacoma, it is a T-handle that pulls straight out of the dash, turn it to the side to release, should be a much smaller mechanism that a pedal and easier to find a spot for, it might fit to the right of the steering wheel in the hole where the hand throttle goes, the cable might wind up a little short :/ might take some work

>> If I was to build one, I would include a mini-cooler big enough to keep a cold pack cold for the end of the trail...

Just a reminder, Toyota built just the thing for 80s... though only for Asian-spec (and others?), but never offered in North America-spec trucks.

Cheers, R -
console_rear_coolbox.gif

Gumby said:
Raven has the key. In fact, there is a hole in the Cruiser dash right where the taco/mini hand brake t-handle is located. Right of the steerng column near the bottom

Agreed....I'd be interested in your findings as well.

Gumby said:
Raven has the key. In fact, there is a hole in the Cruiser dash right where the taco/mini hand brake t-handle is located. Right of the steerng column near the bottom

Hmm, yeah, I've seen those in Tacomas. A coworker of mine has one, I'll have to poke my head under there. I see the plug to the right of the steering wheel for the hand throttle. I always thought the hand throttle went on the left side though in the other plug; however after looking at it, it's quite obvious that the one on the right lines up with the gas pedal. So what goes in the hole to the left?

Ary

dont have any blanks on my 96 in that area, what does it look like?

There was somebody on the forum that fabbed up some armrests awhile back and had them for sale. Can't remember who though. Somebody have more info on this?

hoser said:
There was somebody on the forum that fabbed up some armrests awhile back and had them for sale. Can't remember who though. Somebody have more info on this?

I would like one of those arm rests. :D

Once upon a time, Steve Laird fabbed up a neat looking arm rest - had to be more than two years ago or more. I don't know Steve, don't know if he is on this forum... nor do I know if he is even making these any more.

His web page, however, is still up... so you might want to have a look and contact him.

http://www.lslc.org/dfw/dfwbios/steve-laird/picturepage.htm

Cheers, R -

ParadiseCruiser said:
Once upon a time, Steve Laird fabbed up a neat looking arm rest - had to be more than two years ago or more. I don't know Steve, don't know if he is on this forum... nor do I know if he is even making these any more.

His web page, however, is still up... so you might want to have a look and contact him.

http://www.lslc.org/dfw/dfwbios/steve-laird/picturepage.htm

Cheers, R -

Looks like a nice set-up from the photo, I'd sure like to see more pics or get some more information :bounce: Followed the link from that page but couldnt find anything :confused:

Montana Cruiser said:
Looks like a nice set-up from the photo, I'd sure like to see more pics or get some more information :bounce: Followed the link from that page but couldnt find anything :confused:

As a sideline, Steve runs Cruiser Line Apparel, and dabbles in various Cruiser accesso ries for the 80. Below is a picture of his custom leather driver's armrest for the FJ-80. Contact Steve via email for pricing and availability

that is an interesting arm rest,wonder how much $$$ ? one thing i really miss from my Chevy is an armrest and good cupholders

Also interested in fab'ing a new center console and moving/relocating the hand-brake.
Any updates on this?

Interesting idea, but IIRC, I would likely jam my knee into the e brake handle if it was located there. I'd like to do it if its possible, i'm not a fan of the OE location.

ive thought of taking the foot pedal from a tahoe( i know, a sin to put gm parts on a yota to some) and modding it into my cruiser. thats as far as its gotten tho.

just thought of it.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom