Want to keep wheels light as possible (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What rims are you guys running? What is a solid, reliable, and light rim out there?

My hope is to soon run 33x10.50 and my budget won't allow a lift. I want to keep the wheels as light as possible so I won't have to worry about new gears and putting more of a burden on the driveline/engine as is absolutely necessary.

Is it lighter to go with 16s or 15s with 33x1050s. Thanks.

The outer diameter of a tire of going to dictate how impact on drivetrain torque no matter how light/heavy your tire/wheel is.

If we were talking about a passenger car, this would be different- but we're talking about a steel tank known as the FJ60. Everything is heavy. I wouldn't try to apply street/racing concepts of weight to a 2-ton wagon that gets 10 MPG.

If you really want lightweight, get any alloy wheel instead of steel and get street tires. Mud or all-terrain tires weigh MUCH more than any typical street tire.

Also go with a P235 R15 tire instead of a 33x10xR15. You'll have lots more torque and lots less weight.

It is the diameter of the tire that creates the need for new gears. Just go with 33x10.50s on the stock wheels and live with it. You'll be a little slower off the line but not significantly (you are driving a slow vehicle anyway) and you gain a little bit of an overdrive effect.

It is impossible to know if 15s or 16s will be lighter. It depends upon the wheel and the tire. One thing you probably didn't know is 16s are usually rated higher for weight and usually a heavier tire even though they have less rubber.

While your comment about needing new gears was off a bit, the principal of reducing unsprung weight is sound. A heavier tire/wheel combo does put more burden on the drivetrain which is independent of the tire diameter. Heavier meats create more inertia, and allow for higher shock loads on axleshafts/birfs and more weight for the shocks and springs to handle. What this means to a mild DD rig is different from balls-to-the-wall rock queens or go-fast desert racing types. For a DD, considering the other dynamics that make a 60 series ride the way it does, I say overall tire/wheel weight is not a top priority.

I have a set of rather light wheels on my 60. I like them a lot, but those in particular do not have much in the way of a safety bead. Then during a tire swap (to 33-10.50's) the tire guy managed to bend one of the wheel lips. :(

So if you're going to buy lightweight wheels don't go too light. I think that you're on the right track, but for the wrong reason as Wile E stated. Buy an alloy wheel that you like the looks of and move to the next thing. I plan to replace mine with Outlaw II's in 15"x7" since the AR-23's are NLA in the Toyota BS and bolt pattern.

The weight of the rims will not make as big of a difference as the weight of the tires(33s, at least), and overall diameter.

Thanks for all the input. This is not only my first landcruiser it's also my first 4x4. Four years ago when I looking an owner made sure I knew he had lighter rims on his fj60 (it was a sweet ride, almost bought it).

So it sounds like durable and light are not very good friends when it comes to four-wheelin'. If thats the case I think I'll try and go for the white military style wheels.

Thanks for the recommendations.

The weight of the rims will not make as big of a difference as the weight of the tires(33s, at least), and overall diameter.
Based on personal experience with tires of this size I have to disagree. My Mini came to me wearing steel 15"x8" "rock crawlers". When I put the 33-10.50 BFG M/T's on I put them on generic 15"x7" alloys.

There was a HUGE difference in the weight of the mounted wheels and tires between the 33-9.50 A/T's on the steel wheels and the 33-10.50 M/T's on the alloy wheels. It IS noticeable when driving the truck. It is still slow, but there is a difference in it's ability to get up to speed and there is a difference in ride quality too.

Just because the tire is larger and could have more inertia, don't forget that rubber is not as dense as steel or AL alloy. Pure rubber (discounting the steel belts etc.) is 7 times LESS dense than steel and 4/10 the density of AL alloy.

I wouldn't go hog wild in trying for the absolute lightest wheel as that isn't what you want unless a Mall Crawler, but I would give some attention.

just find a wheel you like and run em. chrome is always gonna be heavier as they are steel then plated. I run black steel wheels (rock krawlers) on my 60 that are 15x8 then on my 42 I run american racing alum 15x8 wheels and they weigh pretty much the same.

tire height like everyone else said is what will dictate gears and stuff.

To give you some numbers, I've got a 15" alloy wheel and 33x12.5x15 tire that together weighs about 70 lbs. I think over half of the weight is from the tire.

Good luck!

I have some aluminum wheels, not sure who made them. When I switched to stock wheels I don't recall being much different.

you should be able to run a skinny 33 without lift there is a thread on the first page (i think or maybe page 2) right now that proves it. there are plenty of people running 33's or bigger with stock diffs so no need to re-gear. i had 35's with stock gears for a brief while (i do have the lift to clear them and a 5speed) there was a noticable time differance in the "wind up" before i got acceleration. avoid toyo mt's ive read they are one of the heavier tires regardless of size. any you could always fill the tires with helium?:lol:

you're supposed to use 'NoS' in the tires to make them faster, duh

33 x 9.50 x 15 on a stock rim is the best for a stock fj60 series DD.
Hands down. (in my opinion):hmm:
You'll get the look your trying to achieve. It will also not drag so much. Skinny and tall is your friend!

When the time comes I'll be switching to 33x10.50's. Who makes a 33x9.50? Do they run pricier than 10.50's? All the advice and insight has been great and I'll be looking in to some alloys when its time to put some new rubber on since one of my wheels is slightly bent with a slight bit of wobble. Hopefully I can get some used ones out there.

By the way, I drove a really potholed, muddy, rocky, dirt road this weekend with some rollers that I wouldn't think a non-suv could get over. At the top is my favorite car of all time... the Prius. I hate the Prius. (I don't hate you if you own one.)

The only 33-9.50 that I know of is the BFG A/T, which may be on the extinction list. Seems like availability is very spotty.

The BFG 33x9.50 was replaced by the 33x10.50. The 10.50s work nicely on a 60 series stock wheel in a 33" size, even better than a 31 of the same width as the extra sidewall helps flatten the tire out.

They are still listed by BFG's page. They're somewhat popular with the buggy desert racers, so I don't expect them to totally go away, they just may be a once or twice a year production kind of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom